Premed take 2, non-traditional, advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TryingAgain09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

First post, looking for a bit of advice from the community...

Bit of background about myself:

Graduated 2009 from Cornell, last pre-med class I took was 2007. I started as a Biology major, and I've taken most of the pre-med requirements, plus some additional sciences, except for Organic I (missing lab) and Physics I & II. I was not particularly focused during my first couple years of undergrad and consequently limped through about a 2.7 GPA in the sciences.

I switched to Business in my 3rd year and managed solid grades, earning graduation with honors. Currently, I am very thankful and fortunate to work for a Fortune 500.

However, nearly 2 years into the work world, I found myself questioning my previous decisions. I am looking for academic challenge, fulfillment and ways to make an impact on others. I'm planning on volunteering at the local hospital to cement interest, but reflecting on my past volunteer work (also at a hospital), I think taking a hard look at the medical career now that I'm a bit older is the way to go.

Given my situation, I'm currently looking at a few options. First: taking the GRE and applying to a post-bacc program to re-take all the core requirements over. Also the question of independent post-bacc, like Harvard Extension vs. structured. Second: finishing the 2 classes I have left, taking an MCAT prep course & MCAT, and applying to straight up med school or a Special Masters depending on the scores.

I worry that taking the classes over and doing better will demonstrate nothing as a repeat student, but also that jumping into the MCAT (even with a Kaplan-type class) may end poorly as a result of not remembering any of the material.

Help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Forum,

First post, looking for a bit of advice from the community...

Bit of background about myself:

Graduated 2009 from Cornell, last pre-med class I took was 2007. I started as a Biology major, and I've taken most of the pre-med requirements, plus some additional sciences, except for Organic I (missing lab) and Physics I & II. I was not particularly focused during my first couple years of undergrad and consequently limped through about a 2.7 GPA in the sciences.

I switched to Business in my 3rd year and managed solid grades, earning graduation with honors. Currently, I am very thankful and fortunate to work for a Fortune 500.

However, nearly 2 years into the work world, I found myself questioning my previous decisions. I am looking for academic challenge, fulfillment and ways to make an impact on others. I'm planning on volunteering at the local hospital to cement interest, but reflecting on my past volunteer work (also at a hospital), I think taking a hard look at the medical career now that I'm a bit older is the way to go.

Given my situation, I'm currently looking at a few options. First: taking the GRE and applying to a post-bacc program to re-take all the core requirements over. Also the question of independent post-bacc, like Harvard Extension vs. structured. Second: finishing the 2 classes I have left, taking an MCAT prep course & MCAT, and applying to straight up med school or a Special Masters depending on the scores.

I worry that taking the classes over and doing better will demonstrate nothing as a repeat student, but also that jumping into the MCAT (even with a Kaplan-type class) may end poorly as a result of not remembering any of the material.

Help?

This thread contains extensive research and advice for people in your situation.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=827879