Premed thinking about Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barasch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reading my post. I’m a premed student who is enrolled in Bryn Mawr College’s postbaccalaureate program starting in August. Though I’m a long ways away from medical school, Bryn Mawr has a good program and places over 93% of students completing the program in medical schools. I’m a little bit of a worry wort, so I may be approaching this too early. Forgive my naivete; please read on and offer advice.

I’m leaving a career to pursue my dream of medicine and I already have a family (wife and 18 month old daughter) so the financial incentives of the HPSP are very compelling. I am trying to examine myself and see if I could become a Navy doctor.

I’ve done a fair amount of reading about the HPSP and understand a lot of the benefits, and I realize that this message board isn’t the best place to ask questions about the benefits, but would the HPSP provide health insurance that covers my family as well as me?

I am a peaceful man and was against the war in Iraq. Having said that, I strongly support our country doing everything it can to provide the best medical care for our soldiers, sailors, their families, and veterans. There is a very clear distinction between our nation’s policies and wars and the service men & women who execute these policies. I would be proud to serve our country as a physician in any of the armed forces.

Though I consider myself to be a liberal, I appreciate discipline and structure. I’m 30 years old now, and have worked in smaller, more innovative and entrepreneurial companies and found them to be too chaotic. I currently work for the state government and, though the rules and structure can be stifling, enjoy it for the most part.

My wife is concerned about the almost certainty of me having to deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan when I begin to repay my service commitment, she is reticent but perhaps will see this as one of many sacrifices our family will have to make for me to follow this dream.

I’m also concerned about base selection and residency. I have a lot of family in the Chicago area and would like to do some of my service time at the Great Lakes Naval base. However, it doesn’t look like there are any GMEs (is that the right acronym?) at that base. Is there a Navy hospital there?

Though I don’t want to pick a specialty before I have a lot of time to try out different things, I’m a little interested in diagnostic radiology or bone and joint radiology (not interested oncology radiology). I’d like to do an armed services residency and then pay back my years of service (that way, I won’t do any IRR time if I resign my commission?)

Members don't see this ad.

Forget the money and focus on the needs of your family. I do not think the military will be a good choice for you. Think long and hard...if you are a worry wort then definitely stay out of the military. Case in point, I spoke with a Commander who is up for orders this December. Trying for an XO billet but has no clue whether or not she'll get it. If she doesn't then there are about 20-30 different locations she might end up at. She's frustrated and upset that word is taking so long to get back to her....she's been in uniform for 32 years. She's a mustang and has no more assurance than a "boot" (E1)

There aren't any better assurances in the civilian world. However you aren't getting sent to war. Put aside the patriotic stuff and look at your family. If you are okay with leaving them for months-year at a time and not really doing your job but playing solitaire...then sign up. Of course you may luck out and get to pull the trigger in anger but I doubt it.

barasch said:
I?ve done a fair amount of reading about the HPSP and understand a lot of the benefits, and I realize that this message board isn?t the best place to ask questions about the benefits, but would the HPSP provide health insurance that covers my family as well as me?

No. In fact, the HPSP stipend is only about $1000/mo and you only get health insurance for yourself (up to a capped amount). You will still end up taking lots of loans if you need more than this to live on.

Having said that, I strongly support our country doing everything it can to provide the best medical care for our soldiers, sailors, their families, and veterans. There is a very clear distinction between our nation?s policies and wars and the service men & women who execute these policies. I would be proud to serve our country as a physician in any of the armed forces.

Great, you can always be a civilian physician contractor for the military or work at a VA hospital. I see no reason anywhere in your post about why you should be in the military. I agree with Crooz, what reason do you have? About getting the billet you want, forget it. Go in with the intention of going wherever the heck you're assigned (i.e. not the Chicago area), and you'll be spared the heartbreak of the post in the other thread about not getting a billet you want. That's the rule, not the exception.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP-

You seem like a really nice guy and you've asked some really good questions, to which the answer is "no". The monentary aspects are NOT appealing. If you don't "support the war" it's unlikely you will like a whole lot about the Navy. And I am NOT questioning your integrity or your patriotism, seriously, but the I don't believe the military or the Navy HPSP is your best bet. There are so many other ways to pay for medical school and so many other ways to show your love for this country.

So borrow the money, apply for grants, scholarships, etc. Every morning you wake up next to your wife and every night you tuck your daughter into bed you'll be glad you did, and you'll be glad you asked us these questions.

Feel free to PM me and I'll gladly give you my email address or phone number and I will tell you about my 13 years of active duty in the Navy, what I think of the HPSP and how I feel about the Cubs' chances of finally making it to the Series now that Boston has done it :cool:

Spang

I agree. Don't do it. Loans can be repayed on a doc's fat salary.

You need to go into the Navy without too many restrictions...ie, family, new kids, etc. Trust me on this one. I have 5 years of Navy time under my belt, and in that time (enlisted) I moved nearly 11 times. I am sure that I will be doing less moving as an physician, but I will always be deployable. There is no sense in employing anyone in the armed services that is not willing to drop everything and move to BFE for a year.

You can have a political opinion in the military, but if you do not support the actions of the President of the United States, you must keep this opinion to yourself, and support him in any way deemed necessary and legally by your superior officers.

As far as the money goes, yes, it does help. I think that the NHSC option might be a better choice for you though...you would still be serving the underserved, and supporting your country.

I have been reading a lot of posts from people bagging on the HPSP option. For the right person (single, no family), it is an EXCELLENT option. Between tuition, all books and equipment, stipend, and fees, The Navy will be spending another $200k or so on my education. This option is NOT for everyone, but it is by far the best option out there for me.

If you were to go into the service, for your situation, If you were dead set on going, I would go Air Force....they seem to be more family friendly.

Good luck!
-bryon

I am an Air Force Optometry HPSP grad. I am coming up on 9 years of active duty service. I finished my HPSP service commitment four year ago, through opportunities that I have sought out, I am now committed through the 16 year make. (However, I don't like the sound of "committed", it not a prison/asylum sentence...). I truly enjoy being a Air Force Officer and Medic. I intially went for the HPSP for the money, but I always wanted to serve in some capacity.

If you are interested in the HPSP program, you have to do it for the right reason and with an open mind. The needs of the US military do come first, that is why we serve. Having a family makes it more difficult, so you need to be flexible and understanding with this commitment. Deployments are a fact of life in the military now. Our county, like it or not, is at war. If you sign up for HPSP your making a commitment to our country to serve as a health professional, it is not a social program.

You will be commissioned as an Officer, not as a doctor.

BK

Everyone.

Thank you for your thoughtful and honest commentary.

Your comments about the number of moves my family would have to make (11 in 5 years - wow!) and about the certainty of unaccompanied tours of duty have given me serious pause in considering the HPSP.

I still have a while (12-18 months) to make up my mind and, if this thread is still on the board, I'll post a follow up.

-Sam