PreMed trying to decide a major???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Right Now I am contemplating:

Majors:

1. Biology w/ a concentration in genetics OR cell and molecular biology
2. Sociology
3. Biological Anthropology and Anatomy
4. Public Policy
5. Design-My-Own major ( I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of health/diet and nutrition

Certificates:

1. Genome Sciences and Policy
2. Health Policy
3. Markets and Management Studies

Which would be the most impressive combination to med schools... I've been told that they don't care but... is this REALLY true?? Also, which combo would prepare me the most adequately for med school? Especially if I decide to do the joint-degree MD/PhD or MD/JD programs?? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

well it really doesnt matter what your major is for medical school..as long as you make the grades its fine (esp. in the pre-reqs)..but now you have a few options..if you are interested in MD/JD definitely do the sociology..if you are thinking MD/PhD then trying to get a certicate in a science (might not have to make it your major)

but they usually do not care what your major is..

Pick whichever one you find most interesting. If you find that to be very hard, like I did, add a minor or two.

If you want to do MD/PhD, I'd go with some science and get lots of research done. However, if you want to do MD/JD, take more classes in the arts (i.e. History, Poli Sci, etc.). It's really all up to your interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the answers guys! i'll be taking a sociology class this coming sem. so i'll see how that goes... right now i'm not leaning towards a particular major but I am very interested in the Health Policy certificate!

If you had to choose in three second or you were going to die, what would you choose?
This sounds unorthodox but give it a shot.

Ready...............GO, QUICK.

That's the correct choice, go with that major. Trust me, you should trust yourself.

unless you have a specific career in mind, I don't know if I'd bother with the MD/JD route.

As far as major goes, make sure it is something you would be excited about, even while you are studying for the MCAT, or interviewing for med schools. Think it might be hard to study for ethics and criminology finals when you know it isn't really building to anything? Fine, major in bio. I did. I am more short-sighted than some people, and I had lots of fun with my two hard-science majors. Others know that a backround in the social sciences will build a foundation for the intangibles that the rest of us fumble through. Just make sure you know what YOU would enjoy doing, and not what the AdComs would like to see. They don't care.

And I did end up taking criminology. I took it the same semester as immunology. Got an A in immunology, a C in criminology. Just the way I am.

If you had to choose in three second or you were going to die, what would you choose?
This sounds unorthodox but give it a shot.

Ready...............GO, QUICK.

That's the correct choice, go with that major. Trust me, you should trust yourself.

hahaha thanks :thumbup:

Strange, I didn't see "Chemistry" up there anywhere :p.

In all seriousness, speaking as a chemistry major... at least give it a shot. Heck, I'd even say go for the cell/molecular biology (since it's closest to biochemistry ;)). In several places I interviewed, they were actually happy that I had gone with the major; I was consistently one of two chemistry majors at every interview day, haha.

But enough propaganda.

Just be a well-rounded student, and you'll be fine. I met someone who was a double major in philosophy and chemistry. Just make sure you like whatever it is that you're doing.

When you start interviewing, you meet very interesting people; I've met international business majors at nearly every interview, so that should tell you something right there :D.

Good luck!

Strange, I didn't see "Chemistry" up there anywhere :p.

In all seriousness, speaking as a chemistry major... at least give it a shot. Heck, I'd even say go for the cell/molecular biology (since it's closest to biochemistry ;)). In several places I interviewed, they were actually happy that I had gone with the major; I was consistently one of two chemistry majors at every interview day, haha.

But enough propaganda.

Just be a well-rounded student, and you'll be fine. I met someone who was a double major in philosophy and chemistry. Just make sure you like whatever it is that you're doing.

When you start interviewing, you meet very interesting people; I've met international business majors at nearly every interview, so that should tell you something right there :D.

Good luck!

lol cool, thanks for the advice! :D the closet thing my school has to a business major is econ, oh well ha

As a side note, do you go to Duke? The create-your own major option souns a lot like Duke's Program II.

As for the major, I asked a similar question a year ago when I first came to the site. The basic reply that I got was, enjoy your major. Study what you want to. That way your interviews will go better too, instead of having to be like, "Well, actually, even though I find Biology to be boring..."

Study what you love! :) Do what you love-thats good advice for the rest of your life.