PreMed: What are my Chances now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my first year as a pre-med student. The courses that i took were Organic Chem I & II, Biology, Philosophy, Statistics, College Algebra, Introduction to ethics, 2CLI (intro to college blah blah required for my program) and Writing I&II. My Cumulative GPA is 4.0.
For my sophmore fall I am registered for A & P I, Gen Chem I, Calc, Spanish II, Independent study (Non-western Ethics) & a CLI. My Ochem professor has offered me an opportunity to do research with him and so I'll be doing that as well.

As for the summer, I am currently in Kenya shadowing a physician and doing some volunteering at a local hospital. I am also keeping a journal comparing the health systems in the states and in kenya.

How am i looking so far? Are there other things that i should be doing? Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I just finished my first year as a pre-med student. The courses that i took were Organic Chem I & II, Biology, Philosophy, Statistics, College Algebra, Introduction to ethics, 2CLI (intro to college blah blah required for my program) and Writing I&II. My Cumulative GPA is 4.0.
For my sophmore fall I am registered for A & P I, Gen Chem I, Calc, Spanish II, Independent study (Non-western Ethics) & a CLI. My Ochem professor has offered me an opportunity to do research with him and so I'll be doing that as well.

As for the summer, I am currently in Kenya shadowing a physician and doing some volunteering at a local hospital. I am also keeping a journal comparing the health systems in the states and in kenya.

How am i looking so far? Are there other things that i should be doing? Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks

You look great! Maybe when you get to the states I'd start some clinical volunteering at a hospital because you can't just have foreign experiences. Also a lot of applicants will have nonclinical volunteering somewhere outside of medicine. I tutored children at a homeless shelter and loved it! But the most important thing you can do now is keep your grades up because it is hard to recover from a tough semester. But you look good for being so early in the process.

Good job on that 4.0! You are looking good, especially with ochem out of the way. Keep it up :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job on that 4.0! You are looking good, especially with ochem out of the way. Keep it up :D

Thanks. Ochem was definetly a challenge but I enjoyed it. Would you recommend that I do other things. Am I missing anything?

Chances excellent so far!
Keep eyes on prize but don't get too overextended.

Thanks