1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Premed with Finance degree?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by nichtmeinbier, Apr 30, 2007.

1. nichtmeinbier

2+ Year Member

Ok here's the deal. I'm a biochem major that did well the first three semesters but now this semester I'm falling apart. I hate calc and am thinking about changing my major to finance for two reasons:
    1. I hate calc, and calc III and P-chem I and II are requirements, so calc will haunt me for the next year. This will cause my gpa to suffer.

2. I want a backup plan. As we all know, getting into med school is tough, and I want something that will give me a good backup even if it is just until i strengthen my application enough to get in.

WILL BEING A FINANCE MAJOR LOOK BAD TO ADCOMS? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

no. I know a few people that did this and I'm doing it myself (although as a non-trad student). They like people who do well in school, are involved in community and know what getting into medicine entails. Go for it!

:luck:

4. digital01

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you don't like Calc I, you are really going to hate Calc II! I definitely agree that there isn't a problem with not being a science major, just do well in the pre-reqs and the MCAT and you'll be fine!

5. digital01

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also, I switched my Junior year from finance to biochem, and in hindsight, I wish I had just stayed with Finance and done the pre-reqs as I would have finished quicker. I did enjoy my biochem classes more than my finance classes though so it wasn't a total loss, just getting a little bit later start :)

6. nichtmeinbier

2+ Year Member

Thanks guys...this stuff can destroy nerves pretty quickly and it's nice to have people like you who have done things like this before. :thumbup:

7. ruinevil

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you've done the prerequisites, I don't think the school cares what you majored in. More science/math looks good though.

8. digital01

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also, even though it's not required, I do suggest taking Biochem I and II