Premed with Finance degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nichtmeinbier

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. I'm a biochem major that did well the first three semesters but now this semester I'm falling apart. I hate calc and am thinking about changing my major to finance for two reasons:
1. I hate calc, and calc III and P-chem I and II are requirements, so calc will haunt me for the next year. This will cause my gpa to suffer.

2. I want a backup plan. As we all know, getting into med school is tough, and I want something that will give me a good backup even if it is just until i strengthen my application enough to get in.

WILL BEING A FINANCE MAJOR LOOK BAD TO ADCOMS? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

no. I know a few people that did this and I'm doing it myself (although as a non-trad student). They like people who do well in school, are involved in community and know what getting into medicine entails. Go for it!

:luck:

Ok here's the deal. I'm a biochem major that did well the first three semesters but now this semester I'm falling apart. I hate calc and am thinking about changing my major to finance for two reasons:
1. I hate calc, and calc III and P-chem I and II are requirements, so calc will haunt me for the next year. This will cause my gpa to suffer.

2. I want a backup plan. As we all know, getting into med school is tough, and I want something that will give me a good backup even if it is just until i strengthen my application enough to get in.

WILL BEING A FINANCE MAJOR LOOK BAD TO ADCOMS? :confused:

If you don't like Calc I, you are really going to hate Calc II! I definitely agree that there isn't a problem with not being a science major, just do well in the pre-reqs and the MCAT and you'll be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I switched my Junior year from finance to biochem, and in hindsight, I wish I had just stayed with Finance and done the pre-reqs as I would have finished quicker. I did enjoy my biochem classes more than my finance classes though so it wasn't a total loss, just getting a little bit later start :)

Thanks guys...this stuff can destroy nerves pretty quickly and it's nice to have people like you who have done things like this before. :thumbup:

If you've done the prerequisites, I don't think the school cares what you majored in. More science/math looks good though.

Also, even though it's not required, I do suggest taking Biochem I and II