Premedical advisory committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b-real

What, me worry?
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Those of you with expert knowledge of UT Austin can help me out here. Does UT have a premedical committee? I've noticed on a lot of applications, a committee letter is preferred. How exactly does an impersonal committee work in writing a rec letter? I know I should ask the HPO directly, but I'd have to wait until next semester. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The committee (at schools which have one, I have no idea if this one does) writes a composite letter, taken from a number of faculty letters submitted to it.

actually not true....our school has a preprofessional advising office and all they do is take the letters of recommendation from the faculty that your interested and pile them together in one package...OUR SCHOOL doesnt rewrite a "composite"...just compiles them, and sends them :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Watcha, that's not a "committee letter," that's a letter service. My school does that too. But the "committee letter" that most schools refer to is actually a composite letter (why they would want such a thing is beyond me!).

My school had a preprofessional committee. What happens is in December or January of the year you choose to apply, you fill out a pre-interview form. It essentially is all of your contact information. Then through the course of the semester, I filled out a Personal Data form. It was a few personal questions (like the ones asked at medical school interviews), a list of extra-currics, and a list of contact info. After we submit this form and six letters of recommendation (2 science, 2 non-science, and 2 personal) we are referred to a non-biased member of the university who conducts a "committee" interview. This person spends 1/2 hour - 1 with the applicants and goes through all of the paperwork. Although, you will never see your recommendations. The member then writes a 3-5 page composite letter and that is sent to admissions committee in addition to the letters of rec.

We have the committee letters at my school, and it works like this: You can pick three interviewers from the list of committee members, with at least two departments represented. Once you choose which three will write your committee letter, you set up interviews with each. After you've interviewed with all 3 (great practice for med school interviews also) then the interviewer you designate as the "head" of your pre-med committee calls a meeting with your other 2 interviewers. At this meeting they go over what they want to include in the letter. Once it's drafted, all 3 sign it.

There is a committee at the school I attend. The way it worked for me was I provided the individuals that I picked to write my letters with a form that gave possible areas to address in their letter, and also waived my right to view the letters if I chose( ie. confidentiality). These were all sent by the authors to my advisor. He is a member of the "committee". He then wrote a composite letter comprised of what he chose to include from the compiled letters. In my case, I asked him to submit one also, therefore he combined his input with the other submitted letters to create a committee letter. My view of the process is that he meets with a committee to stay abreast with current events and information for his advising with the process. There is no real committee meeting with a group of advisors on my behalf. There may be some collaboration, but my premed advisor, whom knows me well after 4 years, is responsible for my letter.