Premedical student (Kinesiology major)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edvlzqz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Kinesiology major hoping to apply to medical school in the near future, so I have begun to take premedical courses. I understand that, essentially, there is no wrong major for medical school, but I would like to know if there are any of you that have majored in kinesiology and gone on to medical school. Has your kinesiology education helped you during your first and/or second year of MS. My concentration is athletic training/sports medicine. I enjoy my major becasue it expands my knowledge of anatomy and physiology; furthermore, it gives hands on experience.
Because I am a kineisology major and not a natural science major, is there anything I can do to enhance my application. I will be taking upper division biology courses eventually.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a kin/PHE grad from Toronto, and got accepted to a DO school. When I went to my interviews, some of the interviewers thought the program may not have been vigorous enough to prepare one for medschool, because apparently, all we do is play sports :rolleyes: You may find yourself justifying your background, just a heads up.

While it does give you a strong background in physiology, anatomy, and even bio in some instances, Kin programs tend to be very demanding, since you complete a full academic courseload PLUS complete physical activity courses, and possibly leadership placements. I know this took a toll on my grades. Plus, you may not have room to complete all your pre-reqs at the same time, and you might have to do a post bacc or so just to complete them all. Those were the two main disadvantages that I faced as a kin major.

Other than that, I do think it's a great undergrad for those that want to go to medschool, and especially interested in sports med.

You are not at all at a disadvantage because of your major. I also majored in athletic training and I have already been accepted to 6 different medical schools. Just make sure that you can keep your head above water in all of your classes because it is hard to stay competitive when you are forced to spend ~30hours/week providing medical care for your patients as a student athletic trainer. This is especially true if you are like me and sustained a prolonged commitment to biomedical research and plenty of other extracurricular activities on top of my ~30hours/week as a student athletic trainer. Advisors at my university constantly send students to me so that they can ask me whether or not they should major in athletic training if they also want to be pre-med (they just want my advice and honest opinion). I always tell them the blunt truth that it may be worth their while to major in movement science, rather than athletic training, so they can still benefit from early exposure to anatomy and physiology but are not bogged down with ~30hours/week as student athletic trainers. But with that said, I always tell them that I am living proof that it can be done successfully. I would give you this same advice. I know that it will be a great asset that I had such extensive exposure to patient care, human anatomy, human physiology, basic pathophysiology, etc. when I am in medical school and beyond, but the cost is very, very, high (you may not have time for much of a life in undergrad as a result).

Thanks for the advise. Just out of curiosity, troublethecat, what schools were you accepted to? where did you complete your undergrad? Congratulations on the acceptances. Which school did you choose?