Premeds and sexual orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you identify your sexual orientation? (ANONYMOUS)

• 7 - Exclusively gay

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • 6 - Nearly exclusively gay

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 5 - More gay than straight (60/40ish)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 4 - Equally gay and straight

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 3 - More straight than gay (60/40ish)

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • 2 - Nearly exclusively straight

Votes: 60 14.7%
  • 1 - Exclusively straight

Votes: 271 66.3%

• Total voters
I really didn't expect a spread like this. Only 2/3 exclusively straight. Interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

OwnageMobile said:
I really didn't expect a spread like this. Only 2/3 exclusively straight. Interesting.

Yeah - it is a bit surprising I think. I wonder what the gender/age/ethnicity breakdown is. I am also curious how reflective of the general population this actually is. Seems like all the surveys that report these kind of numbers are a few years old, and I think acceptance is increasing.

I'd guess that the heterosexual numbers are underrepresented. Heteros may be less interested in this survey.

If 1/3 of the population is non-straight, that's a lot of sore anuses (or is it ani?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to change my vote from exclusively straight to Equally gay and straight so that I can fake that I have a life that is more interesting than obsessing about SDN and medical school.
(Head hung in shame)

Honestly, I think that the diff between this and most popular polls is that this actually has a spectrum, rather than straight vs. gay vs. bi. I think this is much more reflective of how people actually identify themselves sexually. Very progressive, Flop. :thumbup:

gary5 said:
I'd guess that the heterosexual numbers are underrepresented. Heteros may be less interested in this survey.
Or maybe people on SDN are more likely to be gay/queer for some reason? All my family members who are gay are also the smartest/most driven/richest/alpha-type personalities.

The number could also be inflated by the high number of LUGs among high-achieving upper-middle class types. (Lesbians Until Graduation = LUG).
gary5 said:
If 1/3 of the population is non-straight, that's a lot of sore anuses (or is it ani?)
Well, since 1/3 of the gay people are lesbians, maybe it's something else that is well worn/sore?

p.s. why does it always come back to the butt-thing? My anus is *never* sore.

gary5 said:
I'd imagine that they are less interested in the survey. If there was a poll of "What kind of car do you drive?" the responses would be from people who were more interested in cars. I've noticed that not many of my straight friends are into the issue of sexuality as an academic/social pursuit, but lots of gays/bis that I know are involved in student organizations/clubs/alliances/comittees/etc. relating to sexuality. So, maybe the LGBT crew is more likely to click on a thread.

gary5 said:

Ahh.. the penetraphobic anus comments... Uhm, does it ever occur to the penetraphobes that half of the people engaged in anal sex are penetrators and not penetratees? Not to mention the women who don't penetrate their female partners anally. Geesh...

Flopotomist said:
Ahh.. the penetraphobic anus comments... Uhm, does it ever occur to the penetraphobes that half of the people engaged in anal sex are penetrators and not penetratees? Not to mention the women who don't penetrate their female partners anally. Geesh...

it's better than the comment i heard at work where a kid was implying that gay men don't mind getting rectal exams done. i coulda killed him.

asexual should definitely be on the list

Shrami said:
asexual should definitely be on the list
I understand asexuality as an experiental descriptor, but is it appropriate for an identity based survey? I mean, even the Pope, who presumably is asexual would identify as straight, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
I wanted to invent my own scale. I mean, how cool would it be to have the "Floppy Sexuality Scale"... oh wait, floppy and sex together.. not a good combo.
:laugh: That's the funniest goddamned thing I've read all week.

Flopotomist said:
I understand asexuality as an experiental descriptor, but is it appropriate for an identity based survey? I mean, even the Pope, who presumably is asexual would identify as straight, no?
Only because if he didn't classify himself as such, he would be even more of a hypocrite than he already is.

100% hetero girl looking for male here. But now and again, I have girl crushes. There was a NYTimes article on that phenomenon - I'll try to find it. I love fine men, but I admit, I do go weak in the knee for Angelina Jolie.

tigress said:
I did want to mention that I read an article not too long ago about the new "asexual" movement of people who really identify themselves as asexual. I think it's odd and I have trouble believing there are really THAT many asexual people out there, but heck, who am I to judge? Interesting phenomenon, though.

No, there really ARE nonsexual people out there (does asexual=sex with self?). I think I'm borderline actually. And one of my sisters is completely nonsexual. no sex drive at all. does not fantasize about anything. doesn't care about it. never thinks about sex with anyone....

And I keep hearing about more and more people like this. both women AND men.

Flop said:

YEs, my sister identifies herself as nonsexual. straight is not appropriate because she is not at all attracted to men. she isn't abstaining from sex. she just has no desire to engage in any...

SeattlePostBach said:
no sex drive at all. does not fantasize about anything. doesn't care about it. never thinks about sex with anyone....

And I keep hearing about more and more people like this. both women AND men.

PBF076BCtheManwithNoPenis.jpg

ivy91 said:
100% hetero girl looking for male here. But now and again, I have girl crushes. There was a NYTimes article on that phenomenon - I'll try to find it. I love fine men, but I admit, I do go weak in the knee for Angelina Jolie.
I think everyone is attracted to Angelina. My boyfriend and I both think she is HOTTTTT! But then so is her brother....

Apparently, Angelina thinks her brother is hot too, a la kissing him on the lips in public. I heard on the radio (always a reliable source, :p) that in a survey of men and women in relationships, something like 40% of men said they would cheat with Angelina, and 60% of women said they would cheat with Angelina. Yup, that's my girl. :)

i just wanna ask a question without getting yelled at. sometimes i'll refer to someone as queer, cuz i think it is politically correct/socially acceptable, but people have a hissy fit over it. my gay friends refer to themselves as queer, queens, etc. i don't get it. what do you prefer being referred to as?
-mota

ivy91 said:
Apparently, Angelina thinks her brother is hot too, a la kissing him on the lips in public. I heard on the radio (always a reliable source, :p) that in a survey of men and women in relationships, something like 40% of men said they would cheat with Angelina, and 60% of women said they would cheat with Angelina. Yup, that's my girl. :)

Just wanted to point out that not everyone is cuckoo for Angelina. Objectively she's a sexy woman, but really not my type. I'm more of a Natalie Portman kind of guy. ;)

I'd like to point out that my crush goes beyond the superficial. I heart her for all the good work she does. Ah, who am I kidding. The woman is hot. And Nat's not too shabby either. I saw her at Shakespeare in the Park in Central Park last year with her family. I'll put in a good word for ya ;)

DaMota said:
i just wanna ask a question without getting yelled at. sometimes i'll refer to someone as queer, cuz i think it is politically correct/socially acceptable, but people have a hissy fit over it. my gay friends refer to themselves as queer, queens, etc. i don't get it. what do you prefer being referred to as?
-mota
I much rather be referred to as "Flop" than some word describing who I am attracted to. I mean, it is kinda irrelevant. Do you like to be referred to as "That guy that is attracted to blondes with big boobs" or do you prefer "DaMota."

I don't really like to be pigeon holed as being "the gay guy" because I am so much more than that.

That all being said, I personally HATE the word queer, but accept that it is the currently en vogue term used in academics to refer to the broad spectrum of non-hetero identities. I think it is inappropriate to use this term to refer to an individual though unless that individual is OK with it. I guess it is a lot like the word "******." Certainly, people within the group use the word to refer to one another, but it would be inappropriate for a person OUTSIDE of the group to use the word.

When in doubt, I guess just ask - but then, why do you need to refer to the person's orientation anyways?

Flopotomist said:
I much rather be referred to as "Flop" than some word describing who I am attracted to. I mean, it is kinda irrelevant. Do you like to be referred to as "That guy that is attracted to blondes with big boobs" or do you prefer "DaMota."

When in doubt, I guess just ask - but then, why do you need to refer to the person's orientation anyways?

i agree completely. it just sometimes helps to identify people. its not like i use the word all the time. i'd be much more likely to refer to you as that funny guy, than that gay guy. but not everyone's as funny as you flop. i hope you get my point though. its like referring to that guy with the hot girlfriend, its just something that distinguishes people i guess.

-mota

DaMota said:
i agree completely. it just sometimes helps to identify people. its not like i use the word all the time. i'd be much more likely to refer to you as that funny guy, than that gay guy. but not everyone's as funny as you flop. i hope you get my point though. its like referring to that guy with the hot girlfriend, its just something that distinguishes people i guess.

-mota
Hmm.. but probably shouldn't use the word "gay" to describe me then - it wouldn't "identify" me, and people might be confused. Use the phrase "tall, confused looking guy eating paste in the corner" then people will know who you are talking about.

Flopotomist said:
Hmm.. but probably shouldn't use the word "gay" to describe me then - it wouldn't "identify" me, and people might be confused. Use the phrase "tall, confused looking guy eating paste in the corner" then people will know who you are talking about.

the pasty guy eating paste.
-mota

So if Angelina Jolie is the girl that turns straight girls gay, and gay boys straight... is there a male equivelent that turns straight boys gay and gay girls straight? Heath Ledger maybe?

Flopotomist said:
So if Angelina Jolie is the girl that turns straight girls gay, and gay boys straight... is there a male equivelent that turns straight boys gay and gay girls straight? Heath Ledger maybe?

i wish i were brad pitt. but i wouldn't want to make out with the guy. i've always though ed norton was a pretty good looking chap as well.
-mota

DaMota said:
i wish i were brad pitt. but i wouldn't want to make out with the guy. i've always though ed norton was a pretty good looking chap as well.
-mota
Although I am neither a straight male or a gay female, I am going to have to go with Beck or Nicholas Cage.

A.J.'s the woman whose supposed to make me switch teams? Her lips scare me. I am sure they can do amazing things, but I would have to overcome the fear of those things in 3-D first!

Flopotomist said:

I can acknowledge that certain males are attractive, yet I'm not really attracted to them. Brad Pitt for sure falls in this area, maybe a young Harrison Ford, Steve Buscemi, I dunno random other people.

And of course, Samuel L. Jackson.

I :love: Angelina Jolie.

Edit: I answered exclusively straight male, if that makes any difference.

I classified myself as "nearly exclusively straight", but I must admit...Angelina Jolie is third on my To Do list. What's interesting is that, while I am nowhere near her stature, many people (including some strangers) have randomly told me I look like her. So I'm wondering if I really just find her attractive, or if my psyche is just attracted to myself. Perhaps...

I think Brad Pitt or David Beckham are probably great options to convert straight males or lesbian females (and these two can look good in ANY haircut...it's really amazing). And one thing I really respect about Beckham is that he posed for the cover of a gay magazine, and when asked about it he said "why would I mind? I have nothing against gay people, so why would I care if I'm on the cover of their magazine?" :thumbup:

P.S. I find absolutely nothing about Nicolas Cage attractive.

Brad Pitt and Beckham for sure. Yum. And then there's Beckham's teammate, Christiano Ronaldo - unbelievably hot. He's a tad young (20 - I'm almost 24), but that's cool. I'm flexible!

this thread has officially gone down the drain

Pass :thumbdown:

Flopotomist said:

Over the years I have heard from more than a few str8 boys that if they had to make out with a guy it would have been Sean Connery. I assume for the sake of sanity that they were not talking about the 70 year old Sean, but the more youthful James Bond era Sean.

ivy91 said:
And Nat's not too shabby either. I saw her at Shakespeare in the Park in Central Park last year with her family. I'll put in a good word for ya ;)

Thanks, you're my new favourite SDNer. :D Funny thing though, whilst Angelina has legions of admirers of both genders, Natalie Portman seems to be very much a straight boy thing. I have hordes of hetero male friends who (like me) are obsessed with her and would donate their left kidney for one night with senator Amidala. However, the lesbian crowd don't seem too interested. Probably because Angelina has that dash of masculinity and "edge" that girls find so sexy. Unfortunately, I guess that's what kills it for me. :p

As for the current discussion, I love the fairer sex, and have no romantic interest in men. But if I had to kiss a guy, I guess Keanu Reeves would be my choice. (I'd much rather be kissing Nat of course :p )

Angelina's a slut, and Natalie Portman is ugly. As are Kelly Clarkson, Mandy Moore, Britney Spears, and all the rest...

My type: Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly........Monica Bellucci, Rachel Weisz, Roya Nonahali, Gong Li, Daniela Pestova.

And Lady MacBeth.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Natalie Portman is ugly.

You don't really want me as an enemy. Ha ha, j/k. Rachel Weisz is very hot too, I agree with you there. I would like Hepburn, but she once said something disparaging against Chinese people.

Messerschmitts said:
You don't really want me as an enemy. Ha ha, j/k. Rachel Weisz is very hot too, I agree with you there. I would like Hepburn, but she once said something disparaging against Chinese people.

Well, I was just going on looks. From what I've heard, Grace Kelly was a slut & and b!tch.

Pic of Nonahali (yeah, you probably never heard of her):

http://news.gooya.ws/culture/archives/images/Roya Nonahali1.jpg

mercaptovizadeh said:
Angelina's a slut, and Natalie Portman is ugly. As are Kelly Clarkson, Mandy Moore, Britney Spears, and all the rest...

My type: Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly........Monica Bellucci, Rachel Weisz, Roya Nonahali, Gong Li, Daniela Pestova.

And Lady MacBeth.

Natalie Portman's OK. I agree, none of the singers listed are attractive. Shakira, however, is a different story.

Speaking of sluts, didn't Elizabeth Taylor have like 6.2 million husbands or something. I'd go for Monica Bellucci and Rachel Weisz, however. Don't really know the others.

While we are entertaining the idea of attractive singers/actresses:

My picks: Jessica Alba, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Eliza Dushku, Catherine Jones (she's slightly aged but gets better with age), and I really liked that girl from Aliens vs. Predator..forgot her name at the moment.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Catherine Zeta-Jones? She's another of my I'm-a-heterosexual-female-but-I'd-probably-do-her-in-a-second picks.

Keanu Reeves is too awful an actor for me to want to hook up with him, and as much as most girls swoon over Orlando Bloom, he's a little too pansy-like for me. I like guys that have killed at least one person in a movie, like Viggo Mortensen and Christian Bale. And I want to punch Clay Aiken in the face.

Interesting conversation.

Britany Spears = sad piece of trash
Christian Bale = superfine
Catherine Zeta Jones = hot, but looks like she would be a b#tch
That girl from Grey's Anatomy = natural beauty with a sexy edge, though possibly tranquilized. Ever notice that a lot of her face stays in the same position no matter what she is saying/feeling?
Orlando Bloom = pretty, but somewhat inbred-looking
Josh Dhuamel (Las Vegas) = sell my soul for a night with that
Sigourney Weaver = one of the sexiest (but not hottest) women in film
Clay Aiken = must die. horribly. slowly.
The latina from Desperate housewives = mediocre actress, but one of the hottest women on TV right now.

salma hayek. yum
-mota

i cant believe no one has said elisha cuthbert :love:

I think I got here on the downhill end of the thread, but I'm going to put in my two cents anyway:

First, I was surprised how many people have apparently never heard of the Kinsey scale. On the other hand, whoever remarked that people who don't fit into the "totally straight" category are more likely to be interested in sexuality issues was probably right. (As a Kinsey 2/Flopotomist 3 I fit into that category.)

Second, I'm not sure if the people joking about the gay men/anal sex topic are just kidding around, or actually confused. Quite a few people don't realize that (1) not all gay men have anal sex, and (2) many male-female or female-female couples have anal sex as well.

Just an FYI. When you get to med school, you'll probably hear more than you ever wanted to know about how you can't assume anything about a person's sexual practices - just because a man is married to a woman doesn't mean he has only one sexual partner, or all of his partners are female. Just because a woman is pregnant doesn't mean she's straight. And so on.

anon-y-mouse said:
or, you could have used the kinsey scale?
oh and did anyone see the movie "Kinsey"?

I LOVED Kinsey! Such a good movie. Paints a nice picture of how sex used to be handled in society. I definately recommend it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

...and while on the topic of beautiful people... am I the only person in love with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)? Rawr.