PREmeds getting an "Economic Stimulus Package" check

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student
hey everyone. The checks are coming out this next week.. My question is, how do we know how much we will get, if we get any at all. I filed taxes, but looked in my 1040A and found nothing on lines 34 and 32. Are we supposed to have worked a certain amount of hours and earn a certain amount of total wages to be eligible??I dont see how i couldnt have qualified in either case.

SketchLazy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey everyone. The checks are coming out this next week.. My question is, how do we know how much we will get, if we get any at all. I filed taxes, but looked in my 1040A and found nothing on lines 34 and 32. Are we supposed to have worked a certain amount of hours and earn a certain amount of total wages to be eligible??I dont see how i couldnt have qualified in either case.
Use this calculator:

http://www.irs.gov/app/espc/

OP
Character

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
that was a bummer.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I'm going to ask my parents to write me a check for the child credit portion of the stimulus... and then they'll laugh and say, "No."

10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I'm going to ask my parents to write me a check for the child credit portion of the stimulus... and then they'll laugh and say, "No."
they don't get one for you anyway if you're over 17... i tried that.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
C'mon Jolie, you know that's not the purpose of creating a stimulus ;).
Thats what I would have done.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i never realized that you were disqualified if you were claimed as a dependent

that sucks...just make the future generation have to pay an even deeper national debt and dont give them any of the benefits from it

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
"economic stimulus" - an interesting way to phrase it.

That money we are "getting back" is actually borrowed, since we aren't cutting that money out of other programs. So it is added on to our national debt, which a substantial portion of our federal income tax already goes to paying just the interest on.

Who is being stimulated here, the american people, or foreign banks? Congrats you just bought an I-phone on your grandkid's credit card.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
$1200 for my husband and i, all of which will be going to rent at our new apartment.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come up with 1200? I thought "married couples" were getting approx $600. We filed jointly, and using the calculator someone posted earlier we should expect $600.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]

That money we are "getting back" is actually borrowed, since we aren't cutting that money out of other programs. So it is added on to our national debt, which a substantial portion of our federal income tax already goes to paying just the interest on.

Who is being stimulated here, the american people, or foreign banks? Congrats you just bought an I-phone on your grandkid's credit card.
it's called george bush is ******ed

dancinRN1022

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
i get $600 according to the calculator... i think my friends who have kids will get $300 a child...it seriously is going into my money market account...how could they really think anyone will go out and "stimulate the economy" right now with the way things are going??? i think most ppl are going to either save it or use it to pay down a bill...

ryandote

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student

Last edited:

zpiff

Spaceman
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student

HAHA. Hilarious. They should have just asked you to repay that hundred thousand dollar loan we call raising a child...

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
HAHA. Hilarious. They should have just asked you to repay that hundred thousand dollar loan we call raising a child...
They'll get some of that back, they just don't know it yet.

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

nogolfinsnow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
i get $600 according to the calculator... i think my friends who have kids will get $300 a child...it seriously is going into my money market account...how could they really think anyone will go out and "stimulate the economy" right now with the way things are going??? i think most ppl are going to either save it or use it to pay down a bill...
No one can convince me we're in a recession. I was out at Best Buy picking up some printer ink 3 weekends ago and the place was freaking packed. We do not live in a super rich part of the country either. Best Buy sells very, very few things that could be considered essential. Almost every last dollar spent there is for something that people really don't need and could therefore save, pay off debt, or spend on gas, food, etc. So I think a lot of people will go out and spend it because it's 600 "free" bucks.

annndyr

New Member Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Cash equity into the economy is still money. Even for those that dump this money in a savings account, the bank sponsoring your account with loan that money out to borrowers who will in turn buy a house/car/pay for school tuition.

And I'm not sure why this always turns into a politcal debate either. The president can rarely do anything without bipartisan approval, so your beloved political leaders have all agreed to this as well. Of course, if the economy doesnt make a turn for the better a week after the checks come out, liberal media will claim that the program was a bust. How soon we forget the government in the late 90s paying off national debt by borrowing and extending the credit debt of the country. You can also trace the roots of our outsourcing crisis to the administration in the mid-late 90s, which has created some of the financial mess we have today. This isn't an issue of policital party influence.

I think the money with help those who live paycheck to paycheck and also help some of the major banks dig themselves out of trouble, which is good news for all of us. Dont make it political.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No one can convince me we're in a recession. I was out at Best Buy picking up some printer ink 3 weekends ago and the place was freaking packed. We do not live in a super rich part of the country either. Best Buy sells very, very few things that could be considered essential. Almost every last dollar spent there is for something that people really don't need and could therefore save, pay off debt, or spend on gas, food, etc. So I think a lot of people will go out and spend it because it's 600 "free" bucks.

Yeah people are ******ed. They'll get the $600 and buy a computer for $1,600 which will just drive them further into debt

SketchLazy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
And I'm not sure why this always turns into a politcal debate either. The president can rarely do anything without bipartisan approval, so your beloved political leaders have all agreed to this as well. Of course, if the economy doesnt make a turn for the better a week after the checks come out, liberal media will claim that the program was a bust. How soon we forget the government in the late 90s paying off national debt by borrowing and extending the credit debt of the country. You can also trace the roots of our outsourcing crisis to the administration in the mid-late 90s, which has created some of the financial mess we have today. This isn't an issue of policital party influence.

Dont make it political
Funny you should say that while blaming the previous administration at the same time.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
No computer for us, we need this for our insane insurance co-pays for my husbands ~$20,000 a year medication

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I think the money with help those who live paycheck to paycheck and also help some of the major banks dig themselves out of trouble
. Temporarily. Again look where the money is coming from. We have out of control spending right now with the "war", medicare, and simply paying interest on our debt. Is the answer really as simple as, throw 200 billion dollars at the problem? Is the problem REALLY that there isn't enough money in the pool? I don't think so. It's a temporary bandage, nothing more. Just $600 bucks (borrowed from future generations) to get you by another month or two. After that, it will be back to the same basic problem of middle class families being squeezed due to rising cost of living. What is $1200 dollars when you have to send your kid to a PUBLIC college to the tune of twenty or thirty thousand dollars?

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you don't mind me asking, how did you come up with 1200? I thought "married couples" were getting approx $600. We filed jointly, and using the calculator someone posted earlier we should expect $600.
we're married and filing jointly as well. our income is pretty low though and we filed 1040EZ.

i think $1200 is the standard amount for married couples filing jointly.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
we're married and filing jointly as well. our income is pretty low though and we filed 1040EZ.

i think $1200 is the standard amount for married couples filing jointly.
Ok, I'm totally not trying to pry, but even with the lowest income possible, and entering 1040ez, the calculator still says $600....Am I missing something here?

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Ok, I'm totally not trying to pry, but even with the lowest income possible, and entering 1040ez, the calculator still says $600....Am I missing something here?
I just used the calculator and with my tax info (I used a 1040) it comes to $1200. I guess maybe it depends on how much you made and how much you were taxed (state taxes, income taxes, property taxes, mortgage interest and so on)

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I just used the calculator and with my tax info (I used a 1040) it comes to $1200. I guess maybe it depends on how much you made and how much you were taxed (state taxes, income taxes, property taxes, mortgage interest and so on)
Meh, I still don't get it, but I give up

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I think it's a minimum $600 for a married couple filing jointly, up to $1200.

And I think to get up to the max the adjusted gross income has to be at least $25,000. Below that you won't get the max.

OP
Character

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
does anyone think that i can possibly have their check, since its basically free anyways, and i am a dependent and will not get a check. i mean, i did start this thread and all. its the right thing to do.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status
does anyone think that i can possibly have their check, since its basically free anyways, and i am a dependent and will not get a check. i mean, i did start this thread and all. its the right thing to do.
You can not only have mine, but you can DOUBLE it by adding the amount from my first electronically deposited paycheck.

The paycheck has already been added to my account. It was in the amount of $00.00. The same thing my incentive will be.

You can say that I gave you nothing, but you can't say that I didn't give you anything.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think it's a minimum $600 for a married couple filing jointly, up to $1200.

And I think to get up to the max the adjusted gross income has to be at least $25,000. Below that you won't get the max.
yea, my income was definitely more than 25k.

Nonnahs

Today is the greatest day
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2006
Sunny Florida
Status
Pre-Medical

Preach it, brother.

OP
Character

Character

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
You can not only have mine, but you can DOUBLE it by adding the amount from my first electronically deposited paycheck.

The paycheck has already been added to my account. It was in the amount of $00.00. The same thing my incentive will be.

You can say that I gave you nothing, but you can't say that I didn't give you anything.
shady.....you are now on my hit list as well

10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student

Or printed, essentially. But either way, the whole thing is a terrible idea for such reasons.

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
ha...my $600 already has AMCAS written all on it!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ericL

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2005
Where the wild things are
Status
Resident [Any Field]
this check will actually come at an opportune time for my wife and us... We're going to Vegas at the end of May so it look like the money being "reinvested" at the craps table...

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Our $1200 is going straight to the credit card to pay off a small portion of my application debt from this past cycle. :(

surfstarj

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2007
Status
Medical Student
$600.

america, **** yeah...i will not be stimulating the economy but rather padding my savings since we are in a recession :scared:

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hooray for $1200. I think I'm moving in June though, so some of that will probably head towards those costs. the rest of it is going to economically stimulate my savings account.