Premeds, how did you find your mentor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurlyReese

Vincit qui se Vincit
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if i sound clueless, but what's really the difference between your undergraduate premedical advisor and a mentor? How did you go about finding this person?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if i sound clueless, but what's really the difference between your undergraduate premedical advisor and a mentor? How did you go about finding this person?
A mentor is someone who will give you advice about your academic or professional career. If you do research, principal investigators can sometimes be great mentors. Premed advisors can also be mentors if you go to them often for advice and update them about your life (although most premed advisors, I have found, do not have the time to build up those kind of relationships with individual students). The thing to remember about finding a mentor is that they are usually busier than you are, so you have to make the effort to keep in touch.

hmmn...thanks for that advice. I'm not sure how to go about asking someone to be my mentor though. I'll figure out however. thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmn...thanks for that advice. I'm not sure how to go about asking someone to be my mentor though. I'll figure out however. thanks though!
I mean, I've never asked someone, "Can you be my mentor?" I mean, I know Ugly Betty did it (haha although she got shot DOWN), but that just seems kind of awkward. Does your school not put department advisors or other people in place? Or does your school have some kind of alumni database that you can use to talk to people with careers you aspire to? You should drop by your career office if you need guidance.

I mean, I've never asked someone, "Can you be my mentor?" I mean, I know Ugly Betty did it (haha although she got shot DOWN), but that just seems kind of awkward. Does your school not put department advisors or other people in place? Or does your school have some kind of alumni database that you can use to talk to people with careers you aspire to? You should drop by your career office if you need guidance.

Yeah, we have premedical advisors. I think i was looking for clarity about the difference between the two. Me and my advisor work pretty close (i update him on my progress throughout the semester) so I guess he does serve as my mentor in a way.

To find a mentor, I went to one of my bosses at the hospital that I knew was experienced in the process (what to expect, marketing yourself well, etc.) and asked her if she would be my mentor and help me through the process.

I've had friends just look up doctor's office #s in the phone book and call to schedule appointments to meet with the doctors to talk about their desire for a mentor and what they are looking for/what is their need.

Also, you can call minority affairs offices at medical schools in your area and speak to/schedule to speak with an associate dean or administrator in the office. Some are very willing to give you the email addresses of some med students or residents that may be willing to be your mentor.

But if you pre-med advisor fits the bill and you have good face time/discussions with them then it's all good.

To find a mentor, I went to one of my bosses at the hospital that I knew was experienced in the process (what to expect, marketing yourself well, etc.) and asked her if she would be my mentor and help me through the process.

I've had friends just look up doctor's office #s in the phone book and call to schedule appointments to meet with the doctors to talk about their desire for a mentor and what they are looking for/what is their need.

Also, you can call minority affairs offices at medical schools in your area and speak to/schedule to speak with an associate dean or administrator in the office. Some are very willing to give you the email addresses of some med students or residents that may be willing to be your mentor.

But if you pre-med advisor fits the bill and you have good face time/discussions with them then it's all good.

Thank You for that suggestion, I'll look into that for sure:D