Prenuptial agreements, finance, women, children

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

touchadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ladies, I am seeing a lot of single moms, and some ugly divorce situations, wondering if you are thinking about finances, children, divorce, and especially considering prenuptial agreements? While it doesn't seem like a "nice" topic for the engaged, I do see a great need to settle up while in love, rather than while enraged later.

Members don't see this ad.

The problem with a prenup is that life changes. So the only way I would ever agree to one is if it was re-evaluated every year, and that might make it less enforcable. My husand and I do not have a pre-nup, he earns a reasonable 6 figure salary, I'm a student.

For example, my husband came into our marriage with a rental home (I had recently sold my home for relocation before we started dating.) When we wanted to sell that home so he could contribute to a new home (I also contributed) it took 19 months to evict the tenants, who did a massive amount of damage.

Now, if we were in a pre-nup, how would we have handled that? sold it at a loss (his loss?) sold it at a loss and shared the loss? (his bad choice in renters) did the repairs (if we paid someone else it would have still been a loss and if he did the repairs which took 3 months of 60-80 hour weeks, it would have been a huge financial loss) and sold?

What did we end up doing? I moved to the house and did all the repairs and clean up. We sold the house for a $380,000 profit (it was in danger of being condemned.) how is that money determined? who broght that money in? His investment was important, but it would have had 0 return (and a cost) if I hadn't taken the time to do the work. If we had a pre-nup that defined what each of us walked away with, I'd want that time compensated for. We don't, so we both do what is best for us in the long run.

Now, if our personalities were different, that might not have worked. My husband is a reasonable spender, and I'm a tight wad. He gets to shower me with gifts and trips and such that I would never spend money on (but do enjoy), and he gets to buy the stuff he wants, because he brings in a substantial income and and doens't go beyond our agreed budget. Mean while, I contribute by keeping costs down by cooking nearly all our meals (otherwise he would eat out every single meal), handling home repairs, etc. He'll tell you that we have more funds now than he ever would have had single, even as we pay for a second home (for school), tuition, and loss of my income, because I am such a saver (and we don't fight because he respects the limits we agreed to financially, which we have had to reevaluate when he was laid off, when I moved to school, when he got the new job, etc.)

I just don't think a pre-nup respects the synergy of what we develop together in terms of money and property. We make far more together than we did apart, and our total costs are less.

My husband does insist I keep $10k in an account of my own. He calls it escape money, in case I ever felt like I had to leave for any reason, I'd at least have the means to leave and get a lawyer.

Reactions: 1 user
Prenuptual agreements aren't really intended to work during the marriage for various financial scenarios, IMO. I think they should be considered for issues like, what if we divorce, and have no children, how would we want to split our assets? What is we divorce with children and he has a trust fund but she doesn't, how will the child care/support be divided. Does it end at 18, does he pay for college, grad school, bail, med school, wedding, house down payment. These are GOOD discussions for people in love to have with one another and you can learn a lot about core beliefs that you might not know otherwise. The idea is to put you thoughts together enough to put them down on paper and be willing to live with them. What if you have a special needs child? What if one family has much more than the other in-laws, do you want money dictating the custody of your children? I don't think that should be left to chance and anger and jealousy, etc. Just wondering if you ladies are thinking about these things. I know my daughter who is marrying this year is most emphatically NOT, and puts her trust in her betrothed. With that failure rate out there, this isn't very smart, really. Think about it, if you had a patient with a 50/50 chance of living, wouldn't that change their thinking about life. Since marriages have similar failure rates, I know no one thinks they are going to be on the below average side, especially doctors, but everyone can't be top 5! This discussion needs to happen from my perspective, as an attorney married to a doc, I have seen it all and a LOT of it isn't pretty. Women still get short end of stick. I wonder if women doctors are oblivious for same reason male doctors are--they never thought they would actually make that much money anyway, so...