PreOperative Risk Factors for Complications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bf5830

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am doing a research project with a surgeon.

The project looks at patient's co-morbid conditions as identified by the surgeons and us in the pre-operative clinic. We identify patient conditions which may lead to increased post-operative complications (ie. age, diabetes, coronary disease, previous CVA, etc).

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any research out there that already exists looking into this.

Specifically, I am asking if there are actual well known patient risk factors for surgeries ("major" surgeries requiring GA). I am looking for literature that lists a number of patient's pre-morbid conditions before the surgery so that I can use that as a source to support or refute the conditions that we have identified.

Hope that makes sense. Plesae let me know.

thanks
Dr. Brian Feldman

Members don't see this ad.

You can start with the ACC/AHA guidelines for non-cardiac surgery. That paper lists >500 references.

There was also a recent article in Anesthesiology reviewing DM and glucose management. I'm sure there is no shortage of references in that article describing perioperative risks for DM.

It seems as though you should be able to scan PubMed and Miller for the appropriate topics to gather the references you need.

thank you for your post

tried pubmed, what key words do you suggest I use to find a good article?

what is "miller"?

thank you for your post

tried pubmed, what key words do you suggest I use to find a good article?

what is "miller"?

I guess that means you're not an anesthesia attending. Miller is the author of what is considered one of the main anesthesiology textbooks. Barash being the other main one.