Prep courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donghua

Reaction score
For those of you who did well on the MCAT, what prep courses would you recommend if any? Did you do an online program or an in person program? Any input is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I used MCAT Self Prep, and it was great. Online, self guided. The course itself is free with add ons. I got all the bells and whistles, but I didn’t really end up needing it. I would recommend the $10 upgrade and do a la cart for the memorization courses that you need help with.

I prefer videos to textbooks so this is ideal for that kind of learner. Basically he organized video playlists by topic and then gave layouts for 12 mini MCATs that test you along the way (using AAMC questions). I only did these videos and the AAMC questions and FLs along with 1 NS and 2 Kaplan FLs.

I obviously can't answer this question without being biased, but I would like to offer you to try our free MCAT practice bundle to see if our materials fit your study style! The link is in my signature and it includes our diagnostic exam, a full-length exam with explanations, content review videos, and the first two hour lesson in our MCAT course!

Whatever material you do end up choosing, the biggest advice I can give you is to make sure you thoroughly review every question you do. People will boast about doing every practice exam and question bank and then getting a score below their expectations. I think this stems from not thoroughly reviewing and learning from the questions. It's important to do the questions, but I would argue it's even more important to review them and figure out what mistakes you're making. Good luck with everything and please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

If it wasn't for the hellacious commute, I would have taken a classroom course last summer. I started the first two days of a class, but being stuck in traffic over two hours a day didn't make sense. I ended up studying on my own and got a 516, so self studying can be done if you are wise in how you approach it and have self-discipline.

I was lucky, because the course I wanted to take allowed me to sit in the first two days to see if it was feasible, WITHOUT asking me to pay any money. Their sincerity and honesty was refreshing. If you are going to pay a few grand to take a course, sit in it before you pay anything and make sure it's worth the cash. If not for the time wasted on the freeway, their class would have definitely been worth the money. The teacher was actually the same person who wrote the prep books I ended up using.

My only advice that is universal for everyone is that you are wasting money if you pay for an online class. Literally every one of my friends and sorority sisters who took an online course stopped doing it less than half way in. Like every online class, it's hard to take it seriously and easy to get distracted as the teacher drones on. There is so much free video content out there, that it's foolish to pay somebody for online content.