southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I ask this here as opposed to the MCAT forum because I'm 33 and have been quite removed from non science readings for quite some time...therefore, a non-traditional take would be great to hear.

Have any of you felt immediately discouraged when doing practice passages for VR? I haven't had to read anything non - science for school in quite some time now since it's been just pre-reqs for the past couple of years. What technique worked best for you to be able to understand what the passage was saying AND answer all passage questions within the 6-7 min time frame? I started timing myself yesterday but may consider just getting used to reading the passages for the first month, untimed, and maybe build my reading speed, comprehension, and of course confidence ( exam is May 8).

Beandog

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
1) look for those strong words in the answer choices such as "always, only, never, etc" when the passage does not speak as strong. Most often, they are wrong. By eliminating 1 or 2 that look wrong at first glance, you have 2 less answer choices to read through.
2) don't read for detail, read for idea and big picture. You'll get more questions asking about the through process than repeating something you can find by going back to the passage.

3) lots of passage problems. With time, you'll get a better sense of what is right or what to look for. Your plan is great, don't get stumped by trying to keep to the time constraints first off. Give yourself 10 mins to go over a passage at first.

I'm a non-trad, just a little younger than you who had to get in from scratch and took the thing 2x. Don't let day two discourage you - it gets easier as you get stronger

Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
1) look for those strong words in the answer choices such as "always, only, never, etc" when the passage does not speak as strong. Most often, they are wrong. By eliminating 1 or 2 that look wrong at first glance, you have 2 less answer choices to read through.
This is great advice. Also, if an answer choice has verbatim, word-for-word what is in the passage, it's usually wrong. Look out for things that, while true, don't actually answer the question being asked.

PlumbLine

5+ Year Member
May 23, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I purchased the Exam Krackers 101 and did 2 passages every workday at lunch for about 2 months. I wouldn't set a time limit, but I would time myself just to make sure that I was in the ball park of where I should be. I didn't see as much of an upward trend as I had hoped, but I did see my average climb from about 75% to about 85%, if I remember correctly. Most importantly, though, it helped build my confidence in the approach I was using. After several days you will begin to "feel" the approach that works best for you. Some people read the questions first. Some people go passage then questions. Some people go passage skim, questions, passage, etc.

OP
S

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I purchased the Exam Krackers 101 and did 2 passages every workday at lunch for about 2 months. I wouldn't set a time limit, but I would time myself just to make sure that I was in the ball park of where I should be. I didn't see as much of an upward trend as I had hoped, but I did see my average climb from about 75% to about 85%, if I remember correctly. Most importantly, though, it helped build my confidence in the approach I was using. After several days you will begin to "feel" the approach that works best for you. Some people read the questions first. Some people go passage then questions. Some people go passage skim, questions, passage, etc.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.