Prep for Away Electives in Rad-Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ideas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Since many of us med students on the forum have dreams of being just like residents on the board, I thought I would ask for a little of your advice.

I have a few months before I go on any away rotations and I was wondering if there was a nice intro to Rad-onc that would provide basic terminology, diagnosis, and treatment options for the most common cancers that one is likely to see during the rotation. I'm hoping for something that will serve as a great resource during rotations, but will be realistic to read (I'm not looking for the Cecil's of rad-onc :) in a few month time period.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
www.nccn.org

This is probably the most important resource. If you follow the NCCN Guidelines your workup and plans will almost always be right. Plus they have a manuscript for each disease site with all the references you need.

www.nccn.org

This is probably the most important resource. If you follow the NCCN Guidelines your workup and plans will almost always be right. Plus they have a manuscript for each disease site with all the references you need.

Agree with this...the NCCN site was probably the single most helpful resource to me as a 4th yr student. I was very afraid of my first rotation...What would they expect? How fast can I learn radiobiology? Is there a "dosimetry for dummies" handbook?

All said and done, I think most programs will want you to learn the basics of clinical oncology more than anything. Knowing how to stage a cancer and what the standard of care is (surgery, radiation, chemo, or a combo of the above) tends to impress staff the most.

Thanks a ton! I read the review and it looks great so I'm just a click away from buy :)

Also, is there any other away rotaton advice that you think I should keep in mind when at other institutions?
Thanks a ton

dont be aggressive, be assertive.

listen.

know when to keep your mouth shut...nothing worse than a know-it-all med student.

be attentive, ask questions, help out, stay late if needed.

The best advice that a friend gave me the day before I started my first radonc rotation was "make sure that you stay late every night to prepare for the next days consults." This may sound totally obvious, but ironically, I saw many rotating medical students who did NOT do this. I saw a med student tell a resident, for like the fifth pt in a row, "hey, can I see that chart before we go in so I at least know what kind of cancer he has?" (this was like 5 mins before seeing the pt). The resident ended up going in to see the pt WITHOUT the med student. Nothing else will matter on your rotation if you make a mistake like that.

I had residents and attendings comment, more than once, how much they appreciated that I was always prepared for new pts. I'm not patting myself on the back, I just want you to know that I think you can really impress both the residents and the attendings if you have all of the pertinent info at your fingertips and in your brain. That way, when the attending says, "when was that PET scan? Who is the referring doctor?" etc, you will be able to answer it right away without flipping through the chart - or, worse - the resident answering it for you.

One last thing. As someone who is now on the tail end of fourth year..I gotta tell you, the "fourth year dream" is a BIG LIE if you are going into radonc (or anything else competetive). You will work your arse off during your radonc rotations. Arrive early, stay late, prep for patients, read about cases for the next day..all of this will exhaust you. IMHO, it's easier to be a resident than a rotating medical student in some respects. While a resident may follow one attending for a day, you might work with two or three in order to see as many new consults as you can handle, and get as much face time as you can with all of the attendings. I'm just telling you this because I had always pictured 4th year as some oasis...which was definitely not the case! My friends going into FP or IM are loving life though..

Good luck!

dont be aggressive, be assertive.

listen.

know when to keep your mouth shut...nothing worse than a know-it-all med student.

be attentive, ask questions, help out, stay late if needed.

Your job as a medical student is doing kick-ass jobs on H+P and then doing notes/dictations. Find out who you are going to see the next day and do your reading ahead of time. If you need to stay late to do this (e.g. no access from home), then do so. Not many residents will tell you to stay late to finish your work (it's just not cool). Don't start getting used to the 9 to 5 work hours you've been hearing about because that doesn't apply to medical students.

It would be nice if you can read a Perez or Leibel chapter, but realistically it's very hard and too long for one night. When I was rotating, I used the Red Book by Coia, which is more concise. However, now that I know a bit more, I am realizing that it is very out-dated. Therefore, I actually would NOT recommend Coia. Same thing with Baby Perez, (the blue book edited by Chao) it's full of pearls and bullet points, but, in my opinion, not very helpful for beginners. My recommendation is to read the NCCN clinical practice guideline (both algorithm and text), which can be found at www.nccn.org. You can even log on and request a free CD to be sent home! It'll tell you how to stage a patient and how you would work-up, treat, and follow-up that patient; most practical questions you will be asked. It's concise enough for one night (at least the part that pertains to your patient). It is much more up-to-date than any textbook you will find. For natural history and epidemiology, though, you will have to go back to your favorite textbook. I found "Cancer Management: A multidisciplinary approach" to be a very manageable introductory oncology textbook. You can find a web copy at cancernetwork.com A pocket handbook by Hansen and Roach is good one to carry around for quick references. I wouldn't use it as the primary reading, though.

I see many medical students hung up on radiation oncology technique, prescription, etc. Frankly, you are not expected to know that kind of stuff. An attending who has a good perspective on things would not care if you know them. They would care, however, if you cannot tell them a coherent story about what happened to the patient. In other words, know oncology before tackling radiation oncology.

In addition to doing H+P and dictating, some attendings may invite you to do the contouring. If they don't, I would be proactive and ask if you can participate in planning even if it's just watching over their shoulder. I didn't do this because, frankly, I didn't know that treatment planning was such a large part of what rad oncs do. Not only will it show your enthusiasm, it will make your day much more interesting.

Unless you are paired with an attending one-on-one, do NOT kill yourself trying to see many patients. Instead, see one or two patients a day and do a good job. Attendings don't know you are working your butts off to see four patients a day, they just remember you didn't do such a good job on that one patient of his/hers.

Don't kill yourself trying to write the definitive history of the patient detailing every study ever ordered; this is a common medical student mistake. Write only what's pertinent. Remember: a good H+P has a concise history and more detailed discussion.

If you have some free time on your hand, DO NOT sit and read; reading is for afterhours. The last thing you want to do is to look bored. Instead, I recommend spending time with non-physicians such as physicists, rad biologists, dosimetrists and therapists to get more rounded exposure to the field. Advertise you are doing this ("I want to spend some time today with therapists to see how they set up patients."). It will reflect positively.

Do a good job on your end-of-rotation presentation. Ask the residents for guidance on these. Start preparing early.

MOST IMPORTANT: Residents ask themselves whether the rotating medical student is someone they can work with for four years. You should be asking yourself the same question. Radonc makes really good suggestions here. You have the best chance of matching at places you rotate, do not burn bridges.

Lastly, for the most part, you will be doing just H+P and dictation day-in-and-day-out. There is much more to rad onc than that! Don't be turned off by your rotation experience and think this is a boring field. Unless you really need adrenaline rush to get you going, this really is a fantastically interesting specialty.

Good luck.

the hansen/roach book is the new coia (and better) and uptdate is valuable.