Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Prep for Bio I and Gen Chem I

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by meliora27, Apr 8, 2007.

1. meliora27

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm going to be entering a post bacc program in the fall (changing careers from finance) and wanted to try to do some review beforehand. Any suggestions for prepping for Bio I and Gen Chem I?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LUCPM

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would start reviewing some basic math (i.e. algebra or precalculus) if that area is rusty. Although you don't really need any math, it will make your life a little easier in the long run. This was how I started my post bacc 4 years ago. Good luck.

4. meliora27

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'll need to take precalc before Gen Chem, do you think it would be beneficial to pick up an algerbra review book to brush up on some of the basic concepts and get used to doing some practice problems? Is Gen Chem primarily math stuff?

5. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I wouldn't say Gen chem is primarily math stuff, but they generally test concepts through quantitative problems (as opposed to more conceptual). If you feel weak in math, it would be a good idea to review. In a lot of chem problems, you're given all the values except for one variable, for which you need to find the value. This is algebra-intensive.