preparation for critical care rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rock Star

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Could anybody give advise on how to prepare for a critical care rotation. What book(s) is helpful. I'm doing a month at stanford Univ.

Stay positive,

Members don't see this ad.

I reall like Marino's book (aptly titled The ICU Book). It is relatively concise and easy to read, but still full of good information.

I know not everyone feels the same way I do, so hopefully others will post some opinions.

Good luck.

I"ll second the ICU Book. Its relatively easy to read and gives you what you'll need to know. Make sure you know your kidney function and Tx, as well as basic fluid management... and the local Abx treatments for Pseudomonas.

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree with the ICU Book--easy to read and covers a lot of ground while being relatively concise. Also Critical Care Secrets, though the one I saw on the wards with a red cover was a bit out of date. A couple of interns had that one.

I'd also agree that Marino's ICU Book is the best text out there - also consider the "Bedside Critical Care" handbook - its pocket sized and very handy, with detailed how and whys.

there's a purple pocket ICU book made by the folks who make the Pocket Pharmacopia. Very useful info, lots of stuff on all the different drips, differentials of common ICU problems, ACLS protocols, etc.