Preparation for freshman year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxrd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you in advance for reading this post!

I am going to be a freshman in a month or so in college and currently have Calculus & Diff Equations, Gen Chem 1, and Foundations of Biology to name a few courses for the first semester. I'm concerned that because I haven't had these three subjects in at least 2 years, and in biology's case 3, that I will be ill prepared for the class. How much prep is needed for them and is there any resources that I should be looking at?

Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

Just enjoy your summer. You are not expected to do any summer reading prior to starting classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Please do not pre-study for college. Or med school. Or ever. It is not helpful. If you go to med school right after undergrad, you have 5 summer breaks left, max. Use them wisely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not prestudy. You will most likely will have 3 weeks before your first exam once you get the syllabus and reading assignments. Then you can study all you want.

Reactions: 1 users
prestudy for biochemistry and CARS for the MCAT for sure, then do some clinical immunology and histology review for Step 1 :)

prestudy for biochemistry and CARS for the MCAT for sure, then do some clinical immunology and histology review for Step 1 :)

If/when I get there I will!

If any of those courses have a prerequisite course (which I'm pretty sure they don't) then it may be helpful to review material from the previous course sometime before the first day. Otherwise, the instructor will not expect you to know any previous information. Enjoy your summer!

Isn't that a heavy course load? Math, bio, and chem all in the first semester?

Isn't that a heavy course load? Math, bio, and chem all in the first semester?

It seems to be the standard courseload for my major which is neuroscience. We had pretty much no input on which courses we get put into for first semester besides possible AP tests letting us choose a higher level math/bio/chem course.