Jun 18, 2017
Massachusetts
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys, thank you in advance for reading this post!

I am going to be a freshman in a month or so in college and currently have Calculus & Diff Equations, Gen Chem 1, and Foundations of Biology to name a few courses for the first semester. I'm concerned that because I haven't had these three subjects in at least 2 years, and in biology's case 3, that I will be ill prepared for the class. How much prep is needed for them and is there any resources that I should be looking at?

Thanks a ton!

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Just enjoy your summer. You are not expected to do any summer reading prior to starting classes.

Reactions: 1 user

Lannister

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Please do not pre-study for college. Or med school. Or ever. It is not helpful. If you go to med school right after undergrad, you have 5 summer breaks left, max. Use them wisely.

About the Ads

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Do not prestudy. You will most likely will have 3 weeks before your first exam once you get the syllabus and reading assignments. Then you can study all you want.

Reactions: 1 users

pioneer22

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
prestudy for biochemistry and CARS for the MCAT for sure, then do some clinical immunology and histology review for Step 1 :)

Force Healer

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If any of those courses have a prerequisite course (which I'm pretty sure they don't) then it may be helpful to review material from the previous course sometime before the first day. Otherwise, the instructor will not expect you to know any previous information. Enjoy your summer!

Apr 23, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Isn't that a heavy course load? Math, bio, and chem all in the first semester?

Jun 18, 2017
Massachusetts
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Isn't that a heavy course load? Math, bio, and chem all in the first semester?

It seems to be the standard courseload for my major which is neuroscience. We had pretty much no input on which courses we get put into for first semester besides possible AP tests letting us choose a higher level math/bio/chem course.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads