SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Preparation for intern year

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Kfix, May 4, 2007.

1. Kfix

Kfix

Feb 10, 2007
    I'm going to go ahead and ask the very nerdy question....how should one prepare for intern year? I'm not looking to go nuts or anything as time with friends and family and vacation are all planned; however, I was still looking for any thoughts on really high yeild things one should focus on for some quick, last minute preparation for starting intern year.

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2005
    A fibrotic stroma

4. powermd

powermd Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Northeast

5. tibor75

tibor75 Member 5+ Year Member

May 11, 2006
    If your hospital has lots of computers and institutional subscriptions to uptodate among others, you won't need anything else besides a stethoscope and pen.

6. Kfix

Kfix

Feb 10, 2007
    So it sounds like there isn't anything you all recommend reading up on or making sure you know how to do prior to intern year??

thanks for the advice!

7. DoctorSax

DoctorSax Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    The Rock
    1) Sleep

2) Spend time with your friends

3) Spend time with your family

4) Read up on the place you're moving to and plan some day trips--it's summer and you're going to want to get the hell away from the hospital on your days off.

5) Read a good non-medical book.

DS

8. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD 5+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2004
    1) Sleep a lot
    2) Do not touch any medical books

9. tibor75

tibor75 Member 5+ Year Member

May 11, 2006
    If you have a girlfriend, get laid as often as possible as it's likely you'll break up within 2 months

10. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27 10+ Year Member

In the same boat...

A Chief Resident recommended reviewing things that you can't look up easily or leisurly, like the ACLS stuff. Another recommended goofing off as much as possible.

11. docslytherin

docslytherin Tenacious D.O. 7+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I plan on doing a lot of fly fishing in the next month... Solid prep I hope!! HA!!

John