SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Preparation for medical school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Gumbydammit, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Gumbydammit

Gumbydammit Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Salt Lake City, UT, USA
    As a student planning to attend medical school this fall, does anyone have any advice as to best prepare myself for the academic rigors soon to bombard me?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Doggy

Doggy Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Take a break. Go on a vacation. Do something fun this summer. I think the best way to "prepare" is to enter medschool refreshed and revitalized.

Anyways, I'm in the same position, so if anyone has a different opinion, please let me know.

4. GeoLeoX

GeoLeoX Ancient 10+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2000
    2 words - re lax.

I think that you should enjoy being able to watch TV or do nothing instead of reading text for several hours every night. Go on a vacation. If you are so inclined some schools have summer programs for students to get into a clinic and shadow. I worked with a surgeon before I was accepted. He told me that when I get accepted that he would let me get to some cuttin and stichin. Alas, other obligations made me move on prior to that.

Geo

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Do the same thing I am doing to prep for residency - relax, have fun, go on trips, watch lots of tv, take naps, spend time on SDN, get good at Photoshop!

If there are any projects you have been meaning to get to now is a good time, but in general I would suggest just taking it easy.

6. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Agreed, lay back and enjoy the summer. Let your mind turn to mush. Don't worry, it will warm up again once the onslaught begins this fall! [​IMG] Read fluffy books, travel, lay in the sun, go to the beach, live it up! And good luck, Mango MS-1

7. lilycat

lilycat Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2000
    ???
    I really, really, really like the original poster's username. [​IMG]

With that said, I am going to catch up on Saturday Night Live and other classics on the Comedy Channel, maybe take some Spanish classes or cooking classes (all fun stuff), look for housing. The vast majority of med students I have talked to have said to NOT try and study/prep biochem, mol bio, etc., or to do research. Things will get serious again soon enough.

8. Gumbydammit

Gumbydammit Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Salt Lake City, UT, USA
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I think I love you all.

9. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Big Poppa Pump 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Larry, Dallas
    How about my situation? I deffered for a year and feel like I don't remember anything. In fact, I forgot what actin meant when I saw something about it on tv. I'm sure alcohol has dimmed me a little bit, but the intellectual inactivity over the past ten months has got me worried. Any tips or suggestions on how to mitigate the pain I am sure to face upon entry into med school?

10. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Big Poppa Pump 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Larry, Dallas
    How about my situation? I deffered for a year and feel like I don't remember anything. In fact, I forgot what actin meant when I saw something about it on tv. I'm sure alcohol has dimmed me a little bit, but the intellectual inactivity over the past ten months has got me worried. Any tips or suggestions on how to mitigate the pain I am sure to face upon entry into med school?

11. ringo643

ringo643 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

so would you all advise against prematriculation programs? I'm signed up for one at my school - it's six weeks (roughly the first half of my summer) and seemed like a good way to get started on some stuff w/o too much pressure. Also a chance to get moved in so I can spend the second half of my summer on vacation. What do people think about this? Unnecessary? Better just to relax for the full three months? I'd like to hear some opinions. Thanks

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I did a 9 week premed program at my school the summer before i started. It was so very stressful, but I have to admit, It made biochem so easy. There are advantages, but if you have a strong science background, dont waste your time. Med school has so much more detail than what is covered in these classes, although at the time i didnt see how this was possible.

I personally am glad I did the summer course. It will put you at an advantage somewhat in the fact that you may save several hours of studying. However if you feel confident in your ability to do well in medical school, which you probably will, the choice is up to you.

6 weeks isnt really that much time, and if you are having doubts, what harm would it be to go ahead and take the class????

------------------
    ~Pegasus~

13. Telluride

Telluride Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Definitely enjoy the summer!! Do something fun (if you have the time and don't have to work etc), take a trip, read some fun books, spend good time with family.

While I know most people think they should get some studying done over the summer, it's really not necessary (unless you're one of those pesky gunners).

14. Azygous

Azygous Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Philly, PA
    Enjoy your time. Trust me, you'll have more than enough time to kill yourself with the work in med school. Quite honestly, I don't think any program, prep course, or major cram session can prepare you for medical school. That was my thinking anyway. Do something you enjoy, work someplace non-medical, TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS, and things of that nature. Once med school starts you won't have time to do any of these things. In college at least you got to pick your classes and stuff. In med school they give you subjects and tell you when to take the exam. I don't know how true this is for other people but I "learned" how to study in med school during the first couple of exams. You'll encounter a volume of info and new subjects that you haven't seen before. bottom line = your days as a free citizen - PARTY!!!!!!

15. kahlil78

kahlil78 Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2001
    Arlington, TX, U.S.A.
    All of you are wrong. The only was to ensure success next fall is to spend the summer craming for biochem and anatomy. I suggest you acquire your own cadaver and practice disection before school starts. Make sure not to waste weekends either.

16. Blesbok

Blesbok 7+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Buy Robbin's pathologic basis of disease and read it cover to cover, twice.

17. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me 7+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    This thread died in 2001....

18. mtDNA

mtDNA Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I would just relax because it is not important at all to hit the ground running once school starts. You will do fine, but even if you didn't do so great at first, it wouldnt even matter. The grades during your first two years don't matter as long as you pass. The time when you need to psych yourself up and be well prepared is towards the end of second year when you are about to take boards. I know so many people who were really gung ho at the beginning of first year and have slowly worn down, and now, when it actually matters (boards study time is here) they are worn out and have no motivation.

Seriously, just have fun and enjoy your summer before school starts.

19. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2004
    I second this

20. meister

meister Senior Member Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2004
    USA
    I was wondering why Winged Scapula said he was preparing for residency. What's with these ancient threads popping up lately? Quit the forum necromancy please.

21. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist. Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Land of Entrapment
    At least people are using the search function.

I was like "Winged Scapula preparing for residency?" Then I noticed the date.

22. Blesbok

Blesbok 7+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2007
    WTF?

Either the SDN database messed up or someone deleted their post after they realized this thread was from 2001, because it was definitely on the front page when I replied.

23. Mr. Freeze

Mr. Freeze Not right. (in the head) 10+ Year Member

lol...you got sloppy seconds on some necro-lovin. That's just wrong.

24. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2007
    WIZARD!

[​IMG]

25. Bushido416

Bushido416 Tired of basic research 2+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    For those just out of college my advice comes from where most of my wisdom comes from, Futurama. In the words of professor Farnsworth..."Get a job you penniless hippies."

26. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow Physician 10+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2006
  27. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me 7+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    Yea. I was reading along and then saw wingedscapula and was like "wait, she just finished up her fellowship and is in the real world now"

Kind of funny. I can't wait till I'm about to enter residency and have an old thread with some of my comments on it. That is, if I don't get banned JPH style. :p

28. lilnoelle

lilnoelle Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2006
    crazyland
    A spammer bumped the thread and then was quickly banned.