Preparation for pre-medical requirements with BS engineering background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenngo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a BS in mechanical engineering, and I want to pursue medical school. I realize I need to take MCAT, along with 2 chemistry and 2 biology courses to fulfill the pre-medical requirements. The requirements don't specify where to take these courses, or they have to be taken in pre-medical school program if I don't have health-related degree?

I realize these courses are typically lower-division courses that I could take in community college, rather than take these courses in pre-medical school. I want to ask does it make any difference to medical school admission? I am planning to take pre-medical program in UC Berkeley Extension. However, the cost is very expensive compared with community college. Any ideas if I could find some financial aid? I only see they have loan financial aid available.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Please advice.
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The idea generally passed around on SDN is that classes taken at a 4-year university are generally viewed in a better light by admissions committees than classes taken at a community college.

As to the financial aid part of your question, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. :(

Good luck.

:luck::luck::luck:

The idea generally passed around on SDN is that classes taken at a 4-year university are generally viewed in a better light by admissions committees than classes taken at a community college.

As to the financial aid part of your question, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. :(

Good luck.

Yeah I agree, take the courses at the Extension program, since those are university-level courses, not comm college. Also, if possible, take several at once, not one at a time....course-load is often a factor when adcoms look at undergrad coursework. I highly doubt you'll find financial aid for an extension program...I took a class at UCI Extension and the purpose of it is pretty much to let citizens of the community take courses without any sort of structured plan. You can ask your school's financial aid office though...they would be able to answer your question better than anyone on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesn't really matter
but you've kind of done it backwards
do you have humanities?

have you finished your degree yet? can you stay on an extra year?

Also you might want to read through the requirements for med school thoroughly. For example, you'll need:

2 English/writing courses.
2 physics semesters.
2 gen chem semesters.
2 organic semesters.
2 bio semesters.
2 math semesters (for some places).
1 biochem semester (for some places).

Maybe you knew all that already, but, I just wanted to make sure you were aware so that you don't go into the extension program without a clear idea of what you're going to need to take.