preparation tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevohornick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to crack this test with minimum expenses, using web materials and uni lectures.
Thing is, the one thing i have to pay for are the practice tests.
they're all over the place. which should I buy?
missing short on money.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm trying to crack this test with minimum expenses, using web materials and uni lectures.
Thing is, the one thing i have to pay for are the practice tests.
they're all over the place. which should I buy?
missing short on money.

The thread mentioned in the above post is good for getting an idea of what is worth the money and what is not. The poll pretty much says that there are two choices beyond AAMC exams. For the price, 10 exams at $150 from Gold Standard is the best deal. 7 exams for $200 from BR is next. The AAMC exams run $35 a piece, but they are pretty much a must buy. If you get four AAMC exams and the GS set, then you could have 14 exams for $290.

If you are looking to save money, start by going to eBay and seeing what deals there are on passage-based materials. Occassionally people have mentioned buying GS exams from GS via eBay for a little less than the regular price. Also, paper versions are still for sale on rare occassions.

And I hate to be the one to bring bad news, but the application process is the real killer in terms of costs. Make sure you turn in your fee assistance paperwork as early as possible. While it reduces the costs of primaries by a little, many schools will waive the secondary fees, and that is where you can save a lot. Unfortunately, travelling to interviews is going to be costly, but hopefully you'll do a few regionals and stay with medical students as much as possible, so you'll just need to fly once and hopefully avoid too many hotel costs. Good luck staying solvent and best of luck getting a great score.

thanks (in delay) for the advice. so the aamc tests are a must, but the free practice test provided by them is pretty easy aint it? do they reflect the necessary level?
out of 10, how many should I buy?