Prepare for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HardyWork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are somethings you guys are doing to prepare for interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Other interviews have been my best practice, so I would imagine mock-interviews would be as helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I talk to myself in the bathroom.

Nothing beats simulation of trying to answer an ethical question while battling the urge to sheeet breeecks.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I've found that having less practice is better. I spent a good deal of time trying to prepare for my first and I felt like it was one of my worse interview experiences. Now I practice by researching the school and reviewing a few key points that I jotted down for common interview questions like "Why medicine?" etc. I have also been fortunate to have conversational interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 for only a little practice. Although I recognize everyone has different needs.

1) minimal practice to big questions
Define yourself
Greatest strength/weakness
Biggest challenge
Why medicine
Why this school

2) look at interview feed back

3) research school

4) read primary and secondary a few times

After a week of practice for my first interview, I really only needed an hour or so the day before my next interviews.

I didn't want to come off scripted. And honestly my biggest practice was talking to people everyday at work.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I've found that having less practice is better. I spent a good deal of time trying to prepare for my first and I felt like it was one of my worse interview experiences. Now I practice by researching the school and reviewing a few key points that I jotted down for common interview questions like "Why medicine?" etc. I have also been fortunate to have conversational interviews.

Agreed.

At the beginning of this cycle, I tried to prepare for my medical school interviews by looking up potential questions and essentially memorizing responses. Simply put, those interviews turned out to be my most awkward and uncomfortable ones. For the last couple of interviews, I briefly glanced over the secondaries/AMCAS and came in with several key attributes that I wanted to convey. They've been the most conversational, natural, and sincere.

I also did mock interview with friends

The most I "prepared" was reading over my application and personal statement and practiced talking with friends and family about the experiences in my application. You want to be conversational, and not rehearsed. I also practiced a few tough ethical questions just in case, and I'm glad I did because I had one interview that was ALL ethics questions. But keeping my motto of being conversational kept me from panicking in that situation. It's your interview, and as long as you're honest and sincere, you can't be wrong. Best of luck to you!