Preparing a good med school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr_Sheepington

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HELLO! this is my first ever student doctor forum post and i am quite excited that i have finally posted on here :D. I look forward to seeing how this journey goes. But let me get to what i wanted to ask as my first question as someone looking to be a future med school applicant.

Now throughout my life, i always knew i wanted to do something in the sciences. i have always been much more interested in biology, history, and chemistry over any other subjects, and even since i was 6 years old i would sketch near immaculate representations of human anatomy with all proper labeling and proportions of organs, and that's words out of my teachers, not mine. But i never really knew exactly what it is i wanted to be.

I hadn't really ever found my focus until a year or two ago when i decided i wanted to be a doctor, and while i may not have the most amazing high school grades to support me, i know there is a good chance i could still do it if i focus everything i have on getting stellar college grades and MCAT score.

I know that volunteering at hospitals and libraries and other public service facilities are great ways to bolster a application, and about getting into research opportunities and such. But i would like to inquire as to just many different general and specific ways that i could make my chances as good as possible, and I am sure that everyone on here knows much much more i could do to stand out and prove that i still have the determination to deserve a spot in med school. So, what are the ways i could look into doing and working on that would help me? I am a college freshmen in Columbus Ohio, if that would help at all. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read this book:

Amazon product

Shill alert: Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine.

HELLO! this is my first ever student doctor forum post and i am quite excited that i have finally posted on here :D. I look forward to seeing how this journey goes. But let me get to what i wanted to ask as my first question as someone looking to be a future med school applicant.

Now throughout my life, i always knew i wanted to do something in the sciences. i have always been much more interested in biology, history, and chemistry over any other subjects, and even since i was 6 years old i would sketch near immaculate representations of human anatomy with all proper labeling and proportions of organs, and that's words out of my teachers, not mine. But i never really knew exactly what it is i wanted to be.

I hadn't really ever found my focus until a year or two ago when i decided i wanted to be a doctor, and while i may not have the most amazing high school grades to support me, i know there is a good chance i could still do it if i focus everything i have on getting stellar college grades and MCAT score.

I know that volunteering at hospitals and libraries and other public service facilities are great ways to bolster a application, and about getting into research opportunities and such. But i would like to inquire as to just many different general and specific ways that i could make my chances as good as possible, and I am sure that everyone on here knows much much more i could do to stand out and prove that i still have the determination to deserve a spot in med school. So, what are the ways i could look into doing and working on that would help me? I am a college freshmen in Columbus Ohio, if that would help at all. :)