Preparing at the end of intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kd2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I've forgotten all my hard-earned rad onc knowledge that I gained during 4th year away rotations and accumulated random medical/surgical/emergency department skills during intern year, I feel like it's time to prepare for my actual career since I have a few easy months to end with.

Any suggestions on stuff to read before Rad Onc starts in earnest? I was probably just going to start reading NCCN guidelines again like I did to prepare for / during aways, but any other ideas would be appreciated, particularly about things that are harder to learn through traditional written means. Also, since the emphasis on anatomy will be much greater in rad onc than intern year, any benefit to reviewing Netters or online radiology guides?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the beach, read a book, surf the net, hang out with friends.

Second this.

There will be plenty of time to brush up on anatomy, studies, physics, rad-bio and clinical oncology. At least for me, anatomy and patterns of failure help you understand why you do some things and don't do other things, but its much easier to learn that as you are doing a case vs trying to cram all of it before you start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the beach, read a book, surf the net, hang out with friends.

oh I definitely prioritize those things. Speaking more to days at work like today where I've spent all morning watching music videos and random documentaries because it's so slow on this service..

Agree with above with respect to taking it easy. However, if you are in a situation as you describe above where you are at work and have down time, reviewing anatomy (especially head & neck) would be beneficial and far greater yield than trying to do anything Radiation Oncology specific.