Preparing for a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuffPremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, about to enter my senior year of undergrad and I have decided to take a gap year. Assuming everything goes well, I will have a 3.45 cGPA and ~3.3 sGPA. I want to improve my application and experience life before I start my career in medicine. Travel isn't out of the option, but I want to directly work on strengthening my application. My stats:
  • Strong upward trend (3.5 first semester of junior year, 4.0 for the last 3 semesters of college)
  • Research for 2.5 years (potential paper published as first/second author, still in the works.)
  • 100 hours of shadowing
  • ~250 hours of clinical volunteering
  • ~150 hours of community service/nonclinical volunteering
  • No MCAT score until August
Had MDD freshman and sophomore year of college and, with working full time, everything got in the way of me reaching my full potential. I did get help for it and MDD isn't an issue for me (my counselor has given me the OK for handling the stress of medical school.)

My question: What should I do for my gap year? I like research and I am aware of the post-bacc NIH research program to help people get into professional school (i.e. medical school.) Should I pursue that? Or will my GPA be still be a hindrance on getting into the program/getting into medical school? Or should I focus more on clinical and nonclinical volunteering while (assuming MCAT is >510)? Really clueless here. All help appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN, about to enter my senior year of undergrad and I have decided to take a gap year. Assuming everything goes well, I will have a 3.45 cGPA and ~3.3 sGPA. I want to improve my application and experience life before I start my career in medicine. Travel isn't out of the option, but I want to directly work on strengthening my application. My stats:
  • Strong upward trend (3.5 first semester of junior year, 4.0 for the last 3 semesters of college)
  • Research for 2.5 years (potential paper published as first/second author, still in the works.)
  • 100 hours of shadowing
  • ~250 hours of clinical volunteering
  • ~150 hours of community service/nonclinical volunteering
  • No MCAT score until August
Had MDD freshman and sophomore year of college and, with working full time, everything got in the way of me reaching my full potential. I did get help for it and MDD isn't an issue for me (my counselor has given me the OK for handling the stress of medical school.)

My question: What should I do for my gap year? I like research and I am aware of the post-bacc NIH research program to help people get into professional school (i.e. medical school.) Should I pursue that? Or will my GPA be still be a hindrance on getting into the program/getting into medical school? Or should I focus more on clinical and nonclinical volunteering while (assuming MCAT is >510)? Really clueless here. All help appreciated.
The ECs you've mentioned are solid. Consider adding Leadership and/or Teaching (coach, TA, tutor, mentor), as these experiences make an application stronger.

Needs more GPA. Your research experience is fine, as is your clinical. Make sure you nail the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ECs you've mentioned are solid. Consider adding Leadership and/or Teaching (coach, TA, tutor, mentor), as these experiences make an application stronger.
I have been mentoring a plethora of people in becoming more active and living healthier lives throughout college. Will become a personal trainer this fall. Would this count as mentoring? Or should I perhaps continue doing personal training after college for the gap year?