preparing for an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

I have my first interview on Wed., and I am just wondering how best to prepare. I am an an outgoing person with good social skills, and I find it easy to talk to people. I went to a mock-interview, and I found that to be easy, and the interviewer said I did a good job. I have been looking over some frequently asked questions and trying to craft answers, but I am finding it v. hard to memorize my responces. Is it bad to wing it? How did you guys prepare? I am finding the really broad questions like "tell me about yourself" and "why medicine" to be the most difficult.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say DON'T memorize responses. the worst thing is sounding too rehearsed...because anyone can memorize answers that sound good. know a general framework around certain big questions, but let a bit of rough spontaneity shine through. because that's the true you...the you that's not rehearsed and planned, and that's what the interviewer is trying to get at.

interviewers have heard all the answers. and if you give them a memorized answer, you're not giving them anything new. and i think that ultimately hurts you.

i tried memorizing, and i kept getting frustrated because i frequently messed up my answer from my pre-formed response. you'll be fine. just know your application, why you did what you did...and let it flow.

I agree with Gaberman, don't memerize responses. Instead, look at typical interview questions, and think of possible answers and the underlying themes. Think about your motivations to attend med school and what your strengths are as a person and as a candidate. Make sure you know your application well.

Overall I think at combintation of slightly prepared and winging it is best. You want to sound honest and candid, but you do want to be able to answer directly or indirectly why you want to be a doc and why you will be a good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you guys!

I am going over the big questions. I have a question, though. When interviewers ask about your strengths and weaknesses, approx. how many of each do they want. I can think of 2 weaknesses I feel willing to share with them (I am sure that I have more, but...). Will that be enough?

Thank you again

I didn't even try to think of the answers I would give when preparing for my interviews. Whenever I have done that in the past, I would just stammer over myself and get really frustrated. Whatever the interviwers ask me, I just try to answer with what is my first reaction to that question, thus something that I know would be truthful. It's not like the questions are tough stuff I don't know. I feel silly coming up beforehand with answers to questions like, "why do you want to be a doctor?" If I can't answer that one without forethought and preparation, I really ought not be applying to med schools just yet.