preparing for EMT-B class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackopal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to take EMT-B classes next semester to give me more patient contact. I am looking forward to it, but also quite nervous since I've never done anything this hands-on before.
Any advice on what I need to know before I get myself into this? Did anyone find it hard to get an A in the EMT-B classes or pass the licensing exam?
Just trying to get an idea of what I should expect.

Members don't see this ad.

If Lou the pizza guy in my class could pass the exam, so can you!! EMTB class is sooo easy, especially if you've had physiology. The hands on stuff is great, you'll love it. It's very interactive and nonthreatening. I think I scored like a 99% on the exam at the end. No worries friend, you're golden!

at the back of your book, you will find guidelines for patient evaluations per NREMT.

MEMORIZE THESE. (they're very easy and make sense).

When you do your simulations and practicals, and mentally "go down the list," nailing each mandatory item IN ORDER, your evaluators will be impressed.

By going IN ORDER, your evaluators will have an easier time grading you and your score will probably reflect that fact.

It's easy as pie, have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
emt-b is ungodly easy to pass. i took both the practical and written tests about a year after i finished the course without any sort of review and passed. really, really easy stuff... especially if you've got some common sense. when you get there, have fun w/ your ridealongs... they can be awesome

what's emt-b? i thought it was now emt-D. maybe it's just in ny, or there's different ranks or something, but the emt that spoke to our pre med club said that everyone had to have at least a d, that is, certified in defibrilation. am i wrong in this?

EMT D is just certified to use the defib.. which anyone should know how to use, since its absolutely the easiest machine to operate in the world, besides a remote control. anyway, EMB B is certified under 113 hours of training and can perform basic health care. Their scope of practice is more than the EMT D and less than the EMT I

You've got to be an absolute idiot not to pass EMT-B. It is almost all technical w/ very little critical thing skills required. (No offense to EMT-B's, I'm saying it as gently as possible, really.) You learn how to administer oxygen, bandage, triage patients, perform spinal immobiliization, CPR, and basic cardiac arrest stuff among other practical skills. You also get an introduction to trauma and medical emergencies (i.e. different kinds of shock, basic anatomy/physiology), but nothing difficult. You don't start getting into heavy time committments and serious medical decision making until you get into the paramedic curriculum, which is a little much for most pre-meds far enough along to be applying to medical school. (Great experience though if you are still several years away). The national registry and state exam (same exam in most states) is divided into written / practical sections. You need to pass both (all sections of the practical), which when I took the class was Airway, Bleeding/Wounds and Shock, Trauma assessment, and a couple others (Been about 8 or 9 years ago, so I'm sure alot has changed). I'm sure I'll tick off a couple of EMT-B's with this post that are all like "I worked my butt off for this" and "It was the hardest thing I've ever done", etc. etc. Sorry, but all I'm saying is that for an average PRE-MED, it should be a cakewalk (If not, perhaps you should perfect your "Would you like fries with that" skills, instead of your "tell me about your chest pain" skills). Am I saying that a premed is smarter or better at things like that than JoeBlow EMT who had just previously graduated from tractor driving school, has three teeth in his head, and basically wants to be the top schmoe at his local backwoods vol. FD? Yep. No PC here, that's for another thread. Hmm. sounds like a good one. Starting PC thread now.

yep you do need to be a complete idiot to fail EMT-B, effectively learning how to use it in real life emergent situations is another story.:clap:

One thing to watch out for as an EMT student:

I don't know where you will be taking the class or if it will be a state run exam or a National Registry exam, but as the above poster mentioned you should memorize the evaluation form and learn what the mandatory fails are. The material is not hard at all, but depending on the quality of instructor you have the practical can either be a breeze or a nightmare. If you have regular practice time and practicals during class you will be fine. Some instructors don't evaluate their own practical exams by the same standard as the state or national exam. This can leave you unprepared. Make sure when you are taking your practical to VERBALIZE everything. It can be mind-numbing to be an evaluator on these exams and after watching fifty students the evaluator may start to zone and miss some of what you are doing. Example: Say "I am checking PMS (pulse, motor, sensory) before I apply the KED", 'I am checking PMS now that I have applied the KED" as you are doing it.

Ask your instructor what their pass rate is for their classes.

Don't worry about the patient contact. Just jump in with both feet. It may feel weird the first few sessions when you are practicing body surveys on your classmates, but don't hang back. Be the first to volunteer and you will be comfortable with it in no time. Touch is one of the most important skills an EMT possesses.

Even though I too am forced to agree that BECOMING an EMT-B was simple... you shouldn't let people fool you into thinking it ends there. The exams and practicals are a joke, yes. Most of the time in a real life situation you end up improvising what you're "supposed" to do anyway, seeing as how very few patients you'll get will be text-book. Let me add that even fewer patients will be latex dummies. :)

I've been an EMT-B for a while now and I have to say that all it was was a springboard to my medical career. It gives you a great foundation to go onward. I'll give you a quick example of myself, I'm certified as a B to do an emergency labor and delivery on scene. They gave us the very broad education about deliveries while hardly going into the many complications that can arise. Unsatisfied with that, I did my own research into it and gained a ton of really helpful and practical knowledge. Learned a bunch of things I may not have understood or been inspired to look into had I not become an EMT.

Good luck with your class. :)

The EMT-B is Fireman proof! That should say it all!

Originally posted by trauma_junky
The EMT-B is Fireman proof! That should say it all!

HEY, be nice to firefighters. ;)

I'm taking an EMT-B class right now....yeah, it's one of the easiest classes that I've ever taken but also very valuable...the ridealongs are great!! I've made a lot of cool friends in my EMT class too....a great change from the snobby & boring pre-meds that I usually meet.

hahaha, I had a pizza delivery guy in my class too. it was an interesting group of people to have in class. nothing like college.

Originally posted by UCIPMED
hahaha, I had a pizza delivery guy in my class too. it was an interesting group of people to have in class. nothing like college.

After taking my class.. I don't have a lot of faith in emergency services... hell i passed and still feel like i have no idea what I'm doing.... hopefully the PIZZA guy won't come to our rescue if we ever need help! :laugh: :laugh:

I know what you mean, the running joke in our class was that we would all tell each other where we were working so if we ever had to call 911, we would make sure that nobody from our class responded.

Yeah, the EMT-B class is ridiculously easy...we had the pizza guy on our ambulance squad, which was great because he already knew where everything was. ;) The test makes sense. Memorize what they tell you and they won't pull any tricky questions on you. Learn what to do when and you'll pass with flying colors.

Being an EMT is a little bit harder (especially for those of you who don't know how to read a map. don't lie... i know you're out there). There's a lot more of learning how to work with people and how to figure out solutions with limited materials than you can learn in a class. But if you like thinking on your feet and know when to lead and when to follow, you'll be fine.

I completely agree with the previous posts. I took the National Registry Exam a month ago and it wasn't hard. My class consisted of about half pre-meds, half fire fighters and a cop. It's a great experience and now I'm thinking about taking the intermediate course.

Go for it!