Preparing for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time did/do you spend preparing for interviews? Especially the first interview?

Members don't see this ad.

when you can answer these questions cold, then you are ready:

1. why do you want to become a doctor?

2. what to do with the 45 million uninsured?

3. why our school?

4. a few ethics questions, mainly about stem-cell therapy, abortion, birth control, end of life issues, and Jehovah's witnesses.

I've been spending time almost every day just trying to read a few news pieces online or browse web sites of schools where I will be interviewing, but for the most part, i'm more worried about being over-prepared than under-prepared. i've gone through the interview process doing job interviews, and i've found the worst thing is to have an overly prepared answer. you know they're going to ask you why you want to be a doctor, but you can answer that naturally because you know why, or you can jump into a 3 minute speech you've rehearsed a million times in your head...doing the speech comes off dry and boring, and they won't be as interested or attentive. i think the key is just to know yourself, know the school and try to just answer the questions that are asked in a conversational way.

so, my advice is to not over prepare and just spend enough time familiarizing yourself with the school and a few current topics...

jbrice1639 said:
I've been spending time almost every day just trying to read a few news pieces online or browse web sites of schools where I will be interviewing, but for the most part, i'm more worried about being over-prepared than under-prepared. i've gone through the interview process doing job interviews, and i've found the worst thing is to have an overly prepared answer. you know they're going to ask you why you want to be a doctor, but you can answer that naturally because you know why, or you can jump into a 3 minute speech you've rehearsed a million times in your head...doing the speech comes off dry and boring, and they won't be as interested or attentive. i think the key is just to know yourself, know the school and try to just answer the questions that are asked in a conversational way.

so, my advice is to not over prepare and just spend enough time familiarizing yourself with the school and a few current topics...

JBRICE is dead on!

For me: I like to go through the SDN feedback from the school, read the website of the school, review primary and secondary applications, and have some vague idea (just some thoughts) to the "Hit Parade" questions:

1. Why MD?
2. Healthcare crisis solution?
3. Why our school?
4. Tell me about your research..
5. Tell me about yourself (HATE this question)
6. Explain X weakness (hardly likely, but have a terse, cogent answer prepared; about MCAT scores, grades, etc. Some interviews can be plain nasty)
7. Ethical stuff (had 3 interviews thus far; not a single question about anything ethical; however, never hurts to prepare

Best of luck!