Preparing for MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FenderB2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking the MCATs next April, but since I'll be taking about 4 classes a quarter, I won't have time to study. I was thinking about starting to study this summer since I won't have as much time to study during the school year. If I do, what do you guys suggest I do? I have TPR books for all the sections, and the berkeley review book for Biology. I was thinking about going over all the books during the summer, and just take practice tests during the school year in preparation for the MCAT. What do you guys think? I'm worried that by the time April rolls around, I'll forget everything I read this summer. Also, what do medical schools think if you take the test more than once?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's a great idea. If you can study intensely over the summer to get all of the information in your head, and then review as necessary during the school year (which shouldn't be that much if you do a lot over the summer) along with practice tests every weekend or so, I think you would be golden come test time in April. About retaking, I don't think it's such a big deal. I mean, it's better to take the test once and do well but a lot of people retake it and if anything it shows that you are motivated on getting into med school.