General Admissions & OTCAS Preparing for OT School with unrelated Bachelor's Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danidoodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply to start OT school in Fall of 2019, but I am currently almost finished with a Bachelor's degree in Business Management.
I was wondering if anyone else can share how they transitioned from a different degree into OT. My main concern is taking the 5 prereq courses I need to complete before starting an OT program. I have the choice of picking up a minor including these courses and graduating a year and a half later, reapplying to my current school as a second degree-seeking student, or take the courses at a community college.
Does anyone have input on which of these options would be the best?

Members don't see this ad.

you are me...kind of. i gave the business world a go for a little while. anyway, i just took the pre-reqs at a community college. much cheaper.

I went to OT school in my 30s with not one, but two unrelated degrees (undergrad and grad school). I did my prereqs at a community college and it was fine.

Samesies as the last two posts. Got my degree in Econ while volunteering a whole bunch. Worked in the fitness industry for 7 years working myself up the ranks of management. Finishing up 36 units of prereqs + GPA booster classes right before applications open up in July this year and it only took me a year. If you don't need the minor, I'd suggest community college. So much cheaper!