-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramanaut9518

Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, I think we should be patient because it's still the first half of the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Demographics: NC Resident, ORM.
cGPA: 3.90 (BME Major)
sGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 511 (129/124/129/129)
Research: 600 hours (200 basic science, 400 clinical), no pubs (currently in process of submitting a manuscript, so this may change)
Clinical Experience: ~1,200 hours by end of school year (medical assistant)
Shadowing: 50 hours
Non-clinical Volunteering: 250 hours
Clinical Volunteering: ~60 hours by end of school year at The Red Cross
ECs: TA (50 hours), Tutoring (50 hours)
School list: UNC (II -->?), GW (II --> WL), Gtown (R), Duke, UVA, Colorado, Tufts, Emory, UMD, SKMC, RFU, Wake, ECU, Tuscon, Phoenix, South Carolina (Greenville), MUSC, Tulane, Indiana, Penn State, VCU, Wisconsin

I had two IIs early on in September, but silence from all other schools since, except an R from Gtown. WL from GW but I'm yet to hear anything from UNC. I wanted to know your thoughts on how I could improve my application if I don't get in.

Questions:
- What experiences should I pursue during a second gap year?
- should I re-take the MCAT this spring? I botched timing CARS on game day, but if all goes well, I believe I could realistically raise my overall score to ~515 based on FL scores
- any other schools I should consider with my stats?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Service to others less fortunate than one's self is always good.
Do NOT retake the MCAT unless you are 100% ready for it. How do you know that you won't botch the timing again??

Duke was a donation, as was U VA, U AZ, USC, MUSC, IU and U WI

It's not too late to add DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Service to others less fortunate than one's self is always good.
Do NOT retake the MCAT unless you are 100% ready for it. How do you know that you won't botch the timing again??

Duke was a donation, as was U VA, U AZ, USC, MUSC, IU and U WI

It's not too late to add DO schools.

Thanks for the response. In hindsight Duke and UVA were a waste of time and money because of my MCAT, but why the other schools? Strong in-state bias?

Your clinical experience seems a little light but you may still get some attention from in-state programs.

Yeah if I don't get in this time around I'll definitely pursue another clinical job. But is ~1,200 hours light? What do most competitive applicants have?

Reactions: 1 users
A full time job is around 2000 hours, and I see many applicants with this. Many on my committee favor this, if the quality is desirable.

What is considered exceptional in terms of quantity and quality of clinical hours?

A full time job is around 2000 hours, and I see many applicants with this. Many on my committee favor this, if the quality is desirable.
So someone who is applying at the end of their junior year is supposed to have 1200+ clinical hours by the time of application ? And also some significant number of research hours, plus community service hours, and a solid MCAT, etc. I find that hard 1200 number hard to believe. If true, that essentially necessitates a gap year or two.