Preparing for Residency 1st year student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoKraz4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 1st year DO student now and I am just trying to plan out what to do for the next few years. Is it worth joining clubs, racking a ton of community service, doing research, etc..I know for applying to colleges and med school they look at all of that but I was wondering if it is kind of overrated for applying to residency. Not to say I won't do some things, but just not consume my time with a ton of stuff. I just would rather devote most of my time to preparing for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1, clinical grades, letters, and research are what's most important.

Community service doesn't matter too much, but, obviously, volunteer if it makes you happy.

Most med student clubs are pointless, but having some leadership role is probably somewhat helpful and it may give you the opportunity to network with some important clinicians.

If I did it again, I would try to pick a speciality by late 1st year, and then gear my entire application to that field. I'd become an officer in speciality X club and maybe try to get involved in the national organization for speciality X, I'd do a summer research fellowship between ms1 and ms2, and I'd try do a project during ms2. I'd then try to write a case report or 2 during 3rd year. I don't think what I described would be that much extra work.

In reality, however, your step 1 is pretty much all that matters. My application was pretty sparse and I still got 40 something anesthesia interviews based mostly off of my step 1 score.

Reactions: 1 users
Step is by far the most important thing,although it's good to have research and extracurriculars too. PDs want balance, not a drone.

So the answer is focus on Step, but choose a few key ECs. I'd also say it depends what field your pursuing.

Members don't see this ad :)
How important is class rank and being SSP? I'm bordering top 25% in my class and hoping top 50% can keep me away from primary care.

How important is class rank and being SSP? I'm bordering top 25% in my class and hoping top 50% can keep me away from primary care.

I've heard being in SSP helps with DO surgical residencies. From my experience, Acgme programs have no clue what it is.

So class rank isn't that important?
it is the most important factor of the least important portion of your residency resume.

your class rank will not "keep you out" of primary care--board scores will.

Concentrate on the following, in order of importance for residency:

1) Step scores
2) Clerkship grades
3) Letters of recommendation
4) Research (especially for competitive fields)
5) Preclinical grades/class rank/SSP
6) Community service/leadership

it is the most important factor of the least important portion of your residency resume.

Ok, so I shouldn't stress too much over whether or not I'm in the top 25% versus top half? 1st world problems, I know, but I was curious how much it matters.

Ok, so I shouldn't stress too much over whether or not I'm in the top 25% versus top half? 1st world problems, I know, but I was curious how much it matters.

If you look at the list of important things above, LOR's are up there. If you are in top 25% your dean could include that on your letter.

Step 1, clinical grades, letters, and research are what's most important.

Community service doesn't matter too much, but, obviously, volunteer if it makes you happy.

Most med student clubs are pointless, but having some leadership role is probably somewhat helpful and it may give you the opportunity to network with some important clinicians.

If I did it again, I would try to pick a speciality by late 1st year, and then gear my entire application to that field. I'd become an officer in speciality X club and maybe try to get involved in the national organization for speciality X, I'd do a summer research fellowship between ms1 and ms2, and I'd try do a project during ms2. I'd then try to write a case report or 2 during 3rd year. I don't think what I described would be that much extra work.

In reality, however, your step 1 is pretty much all that matters. My application was pretty sparse and I still got 40 something anesthesia interviews based mostly off of my step 1 score.

What about audition rotations? I've read on this site that for some residencies, doing an audition rotation is even more important that the Step scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is research necessary for someone interested in GS? Looking to not do research if possible, mainly because I had a bad undergraduate experience with research.

I'm assuming for AOA residencies? Or do all EM residencies place importance on audition rotations?

Thanks!

Mostly AOA. A lot of MDs I have came across never heard of "audition rotations."
(BTW: love your avatar. I <3 Kakashi)

Mostly AOA. A lot of MDs I have came across never heard of "audition rotations."
(BTW: love your avatar. I <3 Kakashi)

In EM it is absolutely necessary to do audition rotations on the MD side. You need specific letters from these rotations (SLOE) that are required by the vast majority of EM residency programs.

Hmm, confused. DO = AOA. So what is SSP?

In this case AOA is not the American Osteopathic Association, but instead Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical organization that offers membership to students in the top 25% of their class. This for for MD students.

For DO students, the equivalent of Alpha Omega Alpha is SSP, Sigma Sigma Phi.

Hmm, confused. DO = AOA. So what is SSP?

The AOA here isn't the American Osteopathic Association. It's short for Alpha Omega Alpha, an honor society in MD schools. Kindda like saying someone graduated summa cum laude.

Edit: latelogger beat me to it

I wasn't trying to diss primary care with my comment btw. I just don't think it's my thing, and also this debt I'm taking out stresses me out and I'm looking for any way to lessen its impact on my life.