preparing for secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsf0120

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying to MD programs. I am anticipating beginning a full time position and a part time research position RIGHTTT around the time the IIs start to get sent out. Is it common for schools to re use the questions from the year before? I am an anticipating a " explain all grades below B-" "what will you be doing bn now and fall 2017?" and "how have you improved since last app?" and working on those answers now so Im less swamped when working 50-60 hrs/week.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a compassion of secondary questions between application years for yourself, but generally yes, the questions remain very similar if not the same.

Do many schools reuse prompts? Yes. Is there a chance that they decide to change it this year after years of the same questions? Also yes. Prewriting the common questions is a smart idea. If schools have actual secondary essays, prepare for some form of "Why ___ SOM?" I find that questions takes the most amount of thought and certain degree of research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do many schools reuse prompts? Yes. Is there a chance that they decide to change it this year after years of the same questions? Also yes. Prewriting the common questions is a smart idea. If schools have actual secondary essays, prepare for some form of "Why ___ SOM?" I find that questions takes the most amount of thought and certain degree of research.
Thanks for the response. Im having a difficult time differentiating between what information should go in the "what will you be doing" vs. "how have you improved" sections.

Thanks for the response. Im having a difficult time differentiating between what information should go in the "what will you be doing" vs. "how have you improved" sections.

Improved is what youve already done. Will be doing is from June 1st-hopefully acceptance

Ideally, you'll get the secondaries turned around in a timely fashion so if a particular schools seems to have been reusing the same prompts (perhaps check their class pages here), it might be worth prewriting. Make sure to do your research on the school first though; ideally, it should be tailored somewhat to the school even if the prompt is generic.