Preparing for the MCATVerbal using LSAT passages.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read a thread that recommends using actual LSAT verbal passages to prepare for the MCAT Verbal. It said that if you do good on the LSAT passages you will totally own the MCAT verbal. What do you guys think? Also what kind of books is good for preparing for the LSAT verbal?

Members don't see this ad.

from what I heard, MCAT passages are harder than LSAT passages just because of the unpredictability of passage style. LSAT passages, I heard, were mostly law and politics as opposed to literature, art, philosophy, human condition, etc., but let me know how it goes!

LSAT passages are essentially identical to MCAT ones, so would be good practice. In addition, doing some LSAT arguments problems could potentially be beneficial to deconstructing arguments on the MCAT.

I just read a thread that recommends using actual LSAT verbal passages to prepare for the MCAT Verbal. It said that if you do good on the LSAT passages you will totally own the MCAT verbal. What do you guys think? Also what kind of books is good for preparing for the LSAT verbal?

from what I heard, MCAT passages are harder than LSAT passages just because of the unpredictability of passage style. LSAT passages, I heard, were mostly law and politics as opposed to literature, art, philosophy, human condition, etc., but let me know how it goes!

LSAT passages are NOT more predictable...

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked through my older brother's LSAT books, and the ones from the LSAC (reprinted exams) have a single section for reading comprehension. Those seem to be very similar to verbal as well. And, I noticed that all the topics are fair game like the MCAT. In fact, there are some science passages too. It's quite interesting.. these don't have answer explanations though so I'm going to use them when/if I run out of all other VR practice material (EK 101, Kaplan and AAMC) which is not that likely.

I'm guessing there isn't any EK Verbal 101 for LSAT? :rolleyes:

What books are good for the LSAT comprehension tests? Just buy the old exams and work from there? and... where do you buy them?

I just got some LSATs to try the reading comprehension. So far, I think they are exactly what I need. All the MCAT VR practice seem relatively simple to me compared to the beast that was the 5/31 MCAT VR section. On that MCAT administration, I felt the passages were longer and the questions themselves were longer. LSAT reading comp. has seemingly equal or longer length passages to the MCAT, but the questions are REALLY long and the answers tend to have much smaller differences between them. There are also 5 answer choices instead of 4. There are less passages and questions than on the MCAT (~26-28 questions, 4 passages), but you only have 35 minutes for the section. I don't recommend using only the LSAT practice, but I will be continuing to use the LSAT reading comp. sections for extended practice.

You can buy copies of old LSAT exams on amazon.com. You can get the really old ones in sets of 10 for about $20 (they come in a book, and there are 3 books of 10 called "10 Actual official LSAT Preptests," "10 More Actual official LSAT Preptests," and "The Next 10 Actual official LSAT Preptests"... "The Next 10..." I believe is the most recent of those 3, but the exams in that book are still a bit old). You can also buy more recent individual LSAT preptests on amazon.com, and they are $8 apiece. I think the individual ones start at preptest #40 and go to 51 or 52.