Preparing myself to be competitive for top research track IM residencies

• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

ashkicking

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hi guys,

I am an MD/PhD student at a mid-tier medical school, and am a year out from finishing my PhD and returning to medical school for my rotations. My PhD is in cancer treatment, and I am planning on applying to research track residency programs in Heme/Onc. Most of the big labs in my field are at top institutions, including MSKCC, DFCI, etc, and I would very much like to work at one of these labs for my research years. I wanted to get advice to see how competitive I am for these institutions at this point in time. Could I get any pointers on things I should do to make myself more competitive? For my stats at this point in time, here they are:

Step 1:
248 (I am C/O of 2024, so I'm not sure how this will factor in to my application given transition to P/F...)

Preclinical:
Roughly average year 1, I think top quartile year 2 (have to confirm this with my dean)

Research:
1) Peer-reviewed papers: 7 (3 first author bench research articles in impact factor 7~11 journals, 1 first author review, 3 co-author; I will have 1 more first author research article for my dissertation project which I am aiming to have published in an IF 15-20+ journal, and will likely have ~2 more co-author papers from my lab)
2) Posters/Abstracts: 14 (4 first author)
3) Oral presentations: 5
4) Ad hoc reviewer: 3 journals

I have not done my rotations so I cannot comment on my scores on Step 2 or clerkships. Thus I also do not know whether I will AOA or not at this point in time. Thanks so much in advance, any advice is appreciated as I am having difficulty learning about these programs...

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.