Prepharm at UK or UB, HS Sr needs help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speciald

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I need help from actual pharmacy students. My parents want me to apply to a state school and I really want to find the college I'm likely to stay at for 6 years. One where I can at least meet the standards for PharmD admissions or can transfer to another health related program if it turns out that pharmacy isn't for me. I'm considered a state resident for both NY and KY, as KY will grant residency because my father lives there. I like both states, would probably be happy anywhere, and the two schools are each about 3 hours from one of my parents. They both seem to have very good reputations but their admissions offices aren't much help with answering specific questions about pharmacy!

Buffalo seems to have high standards for meeting their "conditional acceptance" to PharmD (over 3.5 gpa, PCAT required under 3.7, no preference for NYS residents) and I've heard from others that many pre-pharms there do not advance into their PharmD program. I have a 3.9 average in hs but 3.7 in college sounds hard to do in prepharmacy courses! I have taken bio, chem, physics, a&p, and precalc but will only go in with college credit for english and economics - I want to take the rest again in college! Any UB students that can share their experiences or comment on how hard it is to maintain a 3.5-3.7?

UK says 90% of their students are instate, with gpas ranging from 3.0-4.0, but has no other guarantees. Any pre-pharm or PharmD students who did their pre-pharm at UK and would you recommend starting at UK?
Did many/most of those accepted instate into the PharmD do their prereq's there too?

Finally, I'm not sure if I want to work in NY but, since NYS has a compounding exam, should I assume that NY schools would stress compounding skills more in their curriculum? Should I even consider that in making my decision?

Thank you so much for helping me figure this out!

Members don't see this ad.