• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

confused48

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
159
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
U mich recommends a series of chemistry courses for pre-meds that includes General Chem (w/lab), 2 semesters of organic (w/lab) and Pchem as the second inorganic course--however there is no lab offered with P chem. The MSAR and website for lots of schools indicates: inorganic chem w/lab one year or ~8 credits. So, if this means you must have two semesters of class and two semesters of lab then, 'Houston, we have a problem." I've got to believe that with the number of U mich grads out there in Med schools all over the country that this must suffice for the Chem prereq's or else U mich would change their pre-med recommendations. Any others in this situation or something similar? Do you bring this up with all the Med schools or just wait and see if the ADCOMs bring it up??

Any insight anyone?
 

Doctor Zoidberg

Planet Express Physician
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
19
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
confused48 said:
U mich recommends a series of chemistry courses for pre-meds that includes General Chem (w/lab), 2 semesters of organic (w/lab) and Pchem as the second inorganic course--however there is no lab offered with P chem. The MSAR and website for lots of schools indicates: inorganic chem w/lab one year or ~8 credits. So, if this means you must have two semesters of class and two semesters of lab then, 'Houston, we have a problem." I've got to believe that with the number of U mich grads out there in Med schools all over the country that this must suffice for the Chem prereq's or else U mich would change their pre-med recommendations. Any others in this situation or something similar? Do you bring this up with all the Med schools or just wait and see if the ADCOMs bring it up??

Any insight anyone?

Do you go to U of M? If you do, the Gen Chem lab counts for two lab classes, 1 credit each, if you look at your transcript (Chem 125 and 126 I believe), though you only really take one class, in order to ameliorate that issue. This way you have 2 gen chem labs.
 

confused48

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
159
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Doctor Zoidberg said:
Do you go to U of M? If you do, the Gen Chem lab counts for two lab classes, 1 credit each, if you look at your transcript (Chem 125 and 126 I believe), though you only really take one class, in order to ameliorate that issue. This way you have 2 gen chem labs.

So, that is why there are two course numbers when you only go to one lab! It all becomes clear to me now. Thnaks so much for your help. :thumbup:
 
About the Ads

ijcMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
147
0
36
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I just graduated from UM and I will be going to medical school in a couple of weeks. When I came to the Umich with all those worthless AP credits, I placed out of Chem 125, which was a 2.0 credit lab at the time. A year after that, the chemistry department turned Chem 125 lab into Chem 125 and Chem 126 (equaling 2.0 credits). I was notified by Peggy Zitek (which I assume you know who she is) back in 2003 that we needed to send all the medical schools a sheet notifying them of the change and that we did meet the requirements of two inorganics labs. However, by last summer in 2005 when I applied to medical school, no sheet was necessary anymore. Apparently, the University had a done a strong job of publicizing this change to medicals schools. So, I would say don't worry about it, but you can always check with Peggy or that lady in the UM career center. They know their stuff extremely well. In fact, you should be on both of their premed email group lists because they send valuable information during the entire application cycle.
 

confused48

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
159
0
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
ijcMD said:
I just graduated from UM and I will be going to medical school in a couple of weeks. When I came to the Umich with all those worthless AP credits, I placed out of Chem 125, which was a 2.0 credit lab at the time. A year after that, the chemistry department turned Chem 125 lab into Chem 125 and Chem 126 (equaling 2.0 credits). I was notified by Peggy Zitek (which I assume you know who she is) back in 2003 that we needed to send all the medical schools a sheet notifying them of the change and that we did meet the requirements of two inorganics labs. However, by last summer in 2005 when I applied to medical school, no sheet was necessary anymore. Apparently, the University had a done a strong job of publicizing this change to medicals schools. So, I would say don't worry about it, but you can always check with Peggy or that lady in the UM career center. They know their stuff extremely well. In fact, you should be on both of their premed email group lists because they send valuable information during the entire application cycle.


Thanks!
 

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2004
2,910
8
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
OMG!!! you f'ing lucky bastards... and I had to suffer through Analytical Chem to take care of that requirement :mad:
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.