Prereq panic U Mich undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused48

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
U mich recommends a series of chemistry courses for pre-meds that includes General Chem (w/lab), 2 semesters of organic (w/lab) and Pchem as the second inorganic course--however there is no lab offered with P chem. The MSAR and website for lots of schools indicates: inorganic chem w/lab one year or ~8 credits. So, if this means you must have two semesters of class and two semesters of lab then, 'Houston, we have a problem." I've got to believe that with the number of U mich grads out there in Med schools all over the country that this must suffice for the Chem prereq's or else U mich would change their pre-med recommendations. Any others in this situation or something similar? Do you bring this up with all the Med schools or just wait and see if the ADCOMs bring it up??

Any insight anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

confused48 said:
U mich recommends a series of chemistry courses for pre-meds that includes General Chem (w/lab), 2 semesters of organic (w/lab) and Pchem as the second inorganic course--however there is no lab offered with P chem. The MSAR and website for lots of schools indicates: inorganic chem w/lab one year or ~8 credits. So, if this means you must have two semesters of class and two semesters of lab then, 'Houston, we have a problem." I've got to believe that with the number of U mich grads out there in Med schools all over the country that this must suffice for the Chem prereq's or else U mich would change their pre-med recommendations. Any others in this situation or something similar? Do you bring this up with all the Med schools or just wait and see if the ADCOMs bring it up??

Any insight anyone?

Do you go to U of M? If you do, the Gen Chem lab counts for two lab classes, 1 credit each, if you look at your transcript (Chem 125 and 126 I believe), though you only really take one class, in order to ameliorate that issue. This way you have 2 gen chem labs.

Doctor Zoidberg said:
Do you go to U of M? If you do, the Gen Chem lab counts for two lab classes, 1 credit each, if you look at your transcript (Chem 125 and 126 I believe), though you only really take one class, in order to ameliorate that issue. This way you have 2 gen chem labs.

So, that is why there are two course numbers when you only go to one lab! It all becomes clear to me now. Thnaks so much for your help. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated from UM and I will be going to medical school in a couple of weeks. When I came to the Umich with all those worthless AP credits, I placed out of Chem 125, which was a 2.0 credit lab at the time. A year after that, the chemistry department turned Chem 125 lab into Chem 125 and Chem 126 (equaling 2.0 credits). I was notified by Peggy Zitek (which I assume you know who she is) back in 2003 that we needed to send all the medical schools a sheet notifying them of the change and that we did meet the requirements of two inorganics labs. However, by last summer in 2005 when I applied to medical school, no sheet was necessary anymore. Apparently, the University had a done a strong job of publicizing this change to medicals schools. So, I would say don't worry about it, but you can always check with Peggy or that lady in the UM career center. They know their stuff extremely well. In fact, you should be on both of their premed email group lists because they send valuable information during the entire application cycle.

ijcMD said:
I just graduated from UM and I will be going to medical school in a couple of weeks. When I came to the Umich with all those worthless AP credits, I placed out of Chem 125, which was a 2.0 credit lab at the time. A year after that, the chemistry department turned Chem 125 lab into Chem 125 and Chem 126 (equaling 2.0 credits). I was notified by Peggy Zitek (which I assume you know who she is) back in 2003 that we needed to send all the medical schools a sheet notifying them of the change and that we did meet the requirements of two inorganics labs. However, by last summer in 2005 when I applied to medical school, no sheet was necessary anymore. Apparently, the University had a done a strong job of publicizing this change to medicals schools. So, I would say don't worry about it, but you can always check with Peggy or that lady in the UM career center. They know their stuff extremely well. In fact, you should be on both of their premed email group lists because they send valuable information during the entire application cycle.

Thanks!

OMG!!! you f'ing lucky bastards... and I had to suffer through Analytical Chem to take care of that requirement :mad: