Prereqs at Community College not accepted for some medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howardyan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read this from Johns Hopkins' Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/JohnsHopkinsSchoolOfMedicineAdmissions

"The Admissions staff asked that I remind everyone about our policy concerning community college and on-line courses as you begin the 2014 AMCAS admissions application cycle today. We do not accept prerequisites taken from community colleges or from on-line courses."

Really? I took phys lab, gchem and ochem lab at a community college. I guess I'll be automatically rejected from Johns Hopkins.

Members don't see this ad.

"The Admissions staff asked that I remind everyone about our policy concerning community college and on-line courses as you begin the 2014 AMCAS admissions application cycle today. We do not accept prerequisites taken from community colleges or from on-line courses."

Really? I took phys lab, gchem and ochem lab at a community college. I guess I'll be automatically rejected from Johns Hopkins.

I believe this info is in the MSAR.

It doesn't state this on the JHU admissions/prereq page. So unclear.
However, have read that Cooper Med School at Rowan requires prereqs at 4-year university.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is absolutely ridiculous. Almost all schools accept pre-reqs at community college so try not to worry about it. As everyone says just try not to go BACK to community college for pre-reqs once you are at a 4-year institution.

But if OP, REALLY wanted to go to Hopkins, couldn't they apply and then IF accepted, take the physics lab, gen chem an orgo lab over again at a state university the summer before they matriculate? Sure that would bite having to spend that last summer of freedom cooped up in a classroom and it will cost money to take more classes. But if you're already accepted then you just need a passing grade so you don't have to agonize over your GPA, plus you're familiar with most of the material already.

I personally wouldn't do that for my average state medical school but I would definitely do it to get into Hopkins :)

The only school that I know of that requires your pre-reqs to be finished upon applying is Temple, most just require them to be finished upon matriculation.

Because Hopkins will make you a better medical student?

:rolleyes: I never said that. I said I personally would do that for Hopkins. I'm personally interested in research and hope to have a career path in academic medicine. Those tend to be the legitimate reasons people choose to attend a top 20 medical school. Since the OP obviously is interested in going to Hopkins, I made that comment since it could potentially apply to the OP's situation.

No offense, but you were most likely going to be rejected by Hopkins anyway.
ani_clapping.gif

:rolleyes: I never said that. I said I personally would do that for Hopkins. I'm personally interested in research and hope to have a career path in academic medicine. Those tend to be the legitimate reasons people choose to attend a top 20 medical school. Since the OP obviously is interested in going to Hopkins, I made that comment since it could potentially apply to the OP's situation.

Because Hopkins will give you better research and is the way to have a career path in academic medicine?

Because Hopkins will give you better research and is the way to have a career path in academic medicine?

What are you Socrates? Lol what's with the questions if you have something to say then just say it brah

In all seriousness I don't see what's wrong with wanting to go to a medical school that is highly regarded for research if you aspire to do research one day. Is it the only way? Of course not! But it's a great opportunity. If you really do think there's a flaw in that argument then please enlighten me, I'm more than willing to admit that I'm not always right.

No offense, but you were most likely going to be rejected by Hopkins anyway.

OP's troll?

What are you Socrates? Lol what's with the questions if you have something to say then just say it brah

In all seriousness I don't see what's wrong with wanting to go to a medical school that is highly regarded for research if you aspire to do research one day. Is it the only way? Of course not! But it's a great opportunity. If you really do think there's a flaw in that argument then please enlighten me, I'm more than willing to admit that I'm not always right.

Pons is just mad he didn't get into Hopkins, now he's cursed to the same potential wages as everyone else who went to medical school. ;)

But seriously, I heard that Hopkins students take the step 1 as an entrance exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is absolutely ridiculous. Almost all schools accept pre-reqs at community college so try not to worry about it. As everyone says just try not to go BACK to community college for pre-reqs once you are at a 4-year institution.

So if I need to go back to a CC just to take Gen Bio (only pre-req left), I should change my plan and go to a university? I already graduated from a 4 year and was exempt from Gen Bio because of AP credit, but it seems like i need to take it for some schools.

So if I need to go back to a CC just to take Gen Bio (only pre-req left), I should change my plan and go to a university? I already graduated from a 4 year and was exempt from Gen Bio because of AP credit, but it seems like i need to take it for some schools.

I doubt any place besides a dumb state school so bound by strict prereqs (which is very rare) will make you take intro bio over again as long as you have other advanced bio classes to cover it.

I doubt any place besides a dumb state school so bound by strict prereqs (which is very rare) will make you take intro bio over again as long as you have other advanced bio classes to cover it.

Really? I hope this is the case. I'll check come app time to make sure i dont waste a year of my life re-learning intro-level plant bio and molecular biology

Really? I hope this is the case. I'll check come app time to make sure i dont waste a year of my life re-learning intro-level plant bio and molecular biology

I've only ever seen Upstate Medical School (SUNY) state they will not accept advanced courses in replacement of intro ones. I was surprised and amused, as I didn't even take gen chem, so screw them lol.

I've only ever seen Upstate Medical School (SUNY) state they will not accept advanced courses in replacement of intro ones. I was surprised and amused, as I didn't even take gen chem, so screw them lol.

yeah srsly, weren't they on probation recently? lol

yeah i believe so. The dean even resigned during the investigation.

Just looked it up. That's some sad stuff, though I don't quite see how they really deserved all that scrutiny. Still funny, though. :laugh:

Source? Proof?

USN&WR doesn't count.

Right, because amassing grant money and having high-impact publications isn't any indication of research robustness. Sure.

OP was being annoying and saying the same thing by not saying anything productive, so I followed suit. :naughty:

Not interested in arguing that Hopkins has very good research opportunities. Sorry bro. Each to his own.

Right, because amassing grant money and having high-impact publications isn't any indication of research robustness. Sure.

Not interested in arguing that Hopkins has very good research opportunities. Sorry bro. Each to his own.

And you understand what fraction of that grant money is being dosed out to non-MD/PhD route med students? You're talking about something of which you have no understanding. If the OP wants to be in academic practice, that will depend much more heavily on where they do their residency than where they went to medical school. Residency depends much more heavily on individual factors (board scores, clerkship grades, dean letter/LOR strength) than on school strength. But to each their own, bro. Good luck on the MCAT coming up.

And you understand what fraction of that grant money is being dosed out to non-MD/PhD route med students? You're talking about something of which you have no understanding. If the OP wants to be in academic practice, that will depend much more heavily on where they do their residency than where they went to medical school. Residency depends much more heavily on individual factors (board scores, clerkship grades, dean letter/LOR strength) than on school strength. But to each their own, bro. Good luck on the MCAT coming up.

Straw man.

I only ever said that Hopkins was strong in research. Do not misinterpret others' misunderstandings for your own. Never touched on what OP should or should not do. Only said that you weren't offering anything productive with cynical, troll-like, and weakly rhetorical questions, but you've thus made up for the former as much as I returned that favor in kind (i.e., my "Yes." was a troll comment, in case you haven't caught the hint yet).

And thanks. Much obliged.

Always love the sniping between you two. Inycepoo, you seem to get into a lot of flame wars these days... Getting ornery about the MCAT and not living up to the Yale standard?

OP, forget Hopkins. Their secondary is a pain in the ass anyway.

Always love the sniping between you two. Inycepoo, you seem to get into a lot of flame wars these days... Getting ornery about the MCAT and not living up to the Yale standard?

Good try, but I don't believe I started the flame this time around.

As for the MCAT, nope. All is well. (Or so we shall see? :p) I'm currently averaging right at the Yale standard, and we're still 1.5 months away.

This thread will be even more hilarious if the OP turns out to be a troll.

But if OP, REALLY wanted to go to Hopkins, couldn't they apply and then IF accepted, take the physics lab, gen chem an orgo lab over again at a state university the summer before they matriculate? Sure that would bite having to spend that last summer of freedom cooped up in a classroom and it will cost money to take more classes. But if you're already accepted then you just need a passing grade so you don't have to agonize over your GPA, plus you're familiar with most of the material already.

I personally wouldn't do that for my average state medical school but I would definitely do it to get into Hopkins :)

The only school that I know of that requires your pre-reqs to be finished upon applying is Temple, most just require them to be finished upon matriculation.

What makes you think you'd be accepted? I imagine you would be screened out/rejected when they saw your CC prereqs.

It doesn't state this on the JHU admissions/prereq page. So unclear.
However, have read that Cooper Med School at Rowan requires prereqs at 4-year university.

Cooper didnt last year. I interviewed there and had cc pre-reqs. They did ask me about it though in my interview. They saw it as overcoming an adversity (lol, really?).

After a couple east coast interviews I found it seemed to be a cultural thing. They referred to all CC's as "junior colleges."

West coast culture (at least where I'm from), it's common to start at a CC because of the price. I would even argue my education was better there.

What makes you think you'd be accepted? I imagine you would be screened out/rejected when they saw your CC prereqs.

It does say on the same facebook page that upper level courses including labs at a four year university could be used to replace CC pre-reqs.

That's right, you will. Taking prereqs at a CC is a huge no, unless you have no other option

Cooper didnt last year. I interviewed there and had cc pre-reqs. They did ask me about it though in my interview. They saw it as overcoming an adversity (lol, really?).

After a couple east coast interviews I found it seemed to be a cultural thing. They referred to all CC's as "junior colleges."

West coast culture (at least where I'm from), it's common to start at a CC because of the price. I would even argue my education was better there.

Are you talking about Cali schools? In seen this a lot over there

Are you talking about Cali schools? In seen this a lot over there

West coast in general seems to be really common to go to a CC if you didn't take the traditional route from hs to college. I didn't start school until I was 22. The university just wasn't a practical option. It isn't for most.

Though with more and more PhD's teaching at CC's I'm not sure why this is even an issue anymore. At a CC at least PhD's don't have research (at least there) that they would rather be doing than teaching.

West coast in general seems to be really common to go to a CC if you didn't take the traditional route from hs to college. I didn't start school until I was 22. The university just wasn't a practical option. It isn't for most.

Though with more and more PhD's teaching at CC's I'm not sure why this is even an issue anymore. At a CC at least PhD's don't have research (at least there) that they would rather be doing than teaching.

Oh I see

It's possible that west coast CCs are more reputable

This is a true statement, I had some of my best professors at CC who were really interested in teaching.

Isn't it common knowledge that a lot of schools don't accept CC credits? I know the schools in my state don't accept CC credits, and they really shouldn't. It's usually a lower level of learning.

My university GPA is significantly higher than my community college GPA. I also thought the classes were of very high quality at the CC because it seemed as if the teachers were very dedicated to the education of their students. I really don't see why community colleges have such a bad stigma. If you go to a CC for the first few years and then transfer to a university and do well (if not better), I really don't see what the issue is. Some students make the mistake of going back to a CC to do pre-reqs because they believe it is "easier." I can see why adcoms would care about this scenario.

Isn't it common knowledge that a lot of schools don't accept CC credits? I know the schools in my state don't accept CC credits

I don't believe so, it is common knowledge that some school's prefer students who have all credits at a university over students who have CC credits; many schools will blatantly say this. But for a school to not accept CC credits at all under any circumstance-- I rarely hear of that.

Isn't it common knowledge that a lot of schools don't accept CC credits? I know the schools in my state don't accept CC credits, and they really shouldn't. It's usually a lower level of learning.

The higher up you go, the more likely this is going to be the case. The initial example of Hopkins is a case in point.

You do know, saying 'no offense' followed by a rude/snarky comment doesn't make it any better right?

False. Pons is awesome in presenting facts right on the point. No offense is just a method of cushioning the impact.

Pons is just mad he didn't get into Hopkins, now he's cursed to the same potential wages as everyone else who went to medical school. ;)

But seriously, I heard that Hopkins students take the step 1 as an entrance exam.

I did get into Hopkins. Ain't even mad.

Epic slam Pons! :highfive:

My university GPA is significantly higher than my community college GPA. I also thought the classes were of very high quality at the CC because it seemed as if the teachers were very dedicated to the education of their students. I really don't see why community colleges have such a bad stigma. If you go to a CC for the first few years and then transfer to a university and do well (if not better), I really don't see what the issue is. Some students make the mistake of going back to a CC to do pre-reqs because they believe it is "easier." I can see why adcoms would care about this scenario.

As a non-trad I had to take bio classes at a cc because I was working fulltime and the cc was a much closer drive than the university. Hopefully adcoms don't see it as the reason you described.

Not true. The vast majority of medical schools accept CC credits (though many may say that they prefer the coursework be done at four year colleges). Out of six schools in your state (Virginia, judging by your previous posts) I quickly glanced at in the MSAR, three say they accept CC credits and the other three do not list whether or not they do or do not.

ADCOMS will see right through an applicant who averaged a 4.0 at a CC and a 2.5 after transferring to a four year. I don't think someone who got a 4.0 at a CC but a 25 on the MCAT will be in good shape either. Given that a four-year pre-req applicant with any given numerical gpa and MCAT score has the upper hand over a CC pre-req applicant who got the same gpa and MCAT score, I don't think there will be a lot of CC applicants in a medical school class that did not somehow otherwise prove that they have what it takes (be it through a significantly higher score than four year pre-req applicants on the MCAT or some other means).

Last edited:
CC vs University reminds me of MD vs DO... Those that seem to be the most "knowledgeable" about community college seem to be those who never attended one. I did not find the course work to be easier. What I did find however was a more intimate teacher-student experience with smaller classes and eaqually qualified professors (and no curves).

I think part of the "easier" argument comes from that fact that most people do pre-req (ie underclassmen) courses at the CC. Freshman and sophmore year are by far the easiest.

The higher up you go, the more likely this is going to be the case. The initial example of Hopkins is a case in point.

meh. I'm matriculating to a "higher up" and I have a ****load of CC credit including gen chem prereq.