Prereqs for PA and physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHNAILS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just something I have been noticing for many years. I hear a great amount of students stating that PA prerequisites are basically the same as MD/DO prereqs. That is false information. As a former PA and now physician, it is interesting to note that there is so much variability between admission prereqs for PA programs. And some of those admission requirements for certain PA schools don't even compare to the med school prereqs. I am specifically referring to the coursework and not clinical experience.

For instance, in looking at Hahnemann's program one can see that only 1 course in general chemistry with a lab is actually required. No orgo or physics is required.

Medex's program prereqs has a great deal of flexibility, as far as which science courses one chooses to take. This is not true for the med school prereqs. I am not even talking about the clinical experience that is required. But, even so, one could easily get experience for the medex program.

Some PA schools don't even have an entrance exam. None require calculus.

Now IF one majors in biology/zoology before going to PA school than obviously the premed reqs will be done, but I know quite a few PAs whom were not science majors. Many say that the prereqs are almost the same for PA and physician, but having experienced both I know they are not. If one takes the time to compare them, you can see what I mean. After PA school and a grad program, I still had prerequisites and the MCAT to take. This is because there were many prereqs that were not required for the PA school I attended.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
major troll. new account today. If this person is a pa I am a neurosurgeon.
please don't anyone respond after this. I know I won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trolling because you don't like what was being said?! The information is true. Just look it up. My former PA school is another example of prereqs being very different than for med.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trolling because you don't like what was being said?! The information is true. Just look it up. My former PA school is another example of prereqs being very different than for med.

It may be true....but why post it? To what purpose does your post serve (other than attempt to start a fight, which is trolling fyi)?

I've never heard anyone, ever, say that PA prereq's are the same as those for medical school.

Even if they were the same, it wouldn't matter. Physician education is much, much more in depth than physician assistant education. Everybody knows that, so your point....welll......it seems as if you have no point.

Ya... well some of it is true. MEDEX was pretty easy to get into. It is a funny story actually. The same day I got my 4000th hour of health care experience was the very same day I finished my bare minimum pre-reqs. Then the next day I was standing in line to use the restroom at the medex office, waiting to make an appointment about applying for next year, they just walked up to me and handed me an acceptance letter. It was the darndest thing.

major troll. new account today. If this person is a pa I am a neurosurgeon.
please don't anyone respond after this. I know I won't.

A random ad hominem attack is the best you got?

Even if he's lying about the PA/MD conversion, he cited an easily verifiable fact about Hahnemann's PA program. A fact which I easily verified with a 5 minute google search. He's right.

I've never heard anyone, ever, say that PA prereq's are the same as those for medical school.

Even if they were the same, it wouldn't matter. Physician education is much, much more in depth than physician assistant education. Everybody knows that, so your point....welll......it seems as if you have no point.

Are you freakin kidding me? Emedpa and his ilk say that ALL THE TIME!

Its their second favorite lie behind the "All PAs have 20 years of medical experience prior to starting PA school but MDs all worked at McDonalds before starting med school, therefore PAs are more qualified than MDs"

it is interesting to note that there is so much variability between admission prereqs for PA programs.

This is not true for the med school prereqs.

Some PA schools don't even have an entrance exam.

Some med schools do not require the MCAT 3 canadian schools, multiple carribean schools and Dartmouth in the US do not require MCAT. Some even admit people right out of high school ( without the MCAT ) Some schools will wave the MCAT based on needs, minority status etc.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6101032_medical-schools-don_t-require-mcat.html

then there is this:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6523584_medical-do-not-require-mcat_.html

None require calculus.
Of 126 MD schools only the top ones (about 17) require calculus.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/advice/MedSchlMathReq08rev.pdf

There is some variation for Med school as well. Granted not as much... it is still there.

Was that better than a random Ad Hom attack :confused:

Are you freakin kidding me? Emedpa and his ilk say that ALL THE TIME!

Its their second favorite lie behind the "All PAs have 20 years of medical experience prior to starting PA school but MDs all worked at McDonalds before starting med school, therefore PAs are more qualified than MDs"

Can you show me where Emedpa or others have said anything about the MCAT being a prereq for PA programs?

I didn't think so.....

There are many similarities in prereq's between PA and MD programs...but they are NOT the same and nobody is pretending they are.