prereqs while active duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dm22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a nursing student going into the Navy when I graduate (in the NCP program). I respect physicians, their job, and the training they go through to get there. For the past few months I have been seriously considering taking the leap and going for med school. I never really considered becoming a doctor before nursing school, but since I have been getting so much exposure to what the physicians do it has begun to change my mind.

My questions are;

Would a Navy nurse be able to get their prereqs done while active duty? (I have to take bio 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, and orgo 1 and 2).

Would the Navy give up a nurse officer to make them a medical officer (assuming going from active duty --> usuhs or HPSP)?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can do pre-reqs on active duty. I did.
Your commander's support will be very helpful. My COL could have shipped me off to fill a spot on a staff in a tent somewhere, but he let me finish and apply to med school.

As for letting you leave to become an MD: if you have an obligation, the command may not release you. On the other hand, if you intend to continue service as an MD, the DoD policy is to support you. If you have problems, let me know. There are strategies for overcoming bureaucratic obstacles.

You can complete the pre-reqs while on active duty, it is just a matter of being stationed in the right places to take the pre-reqs w/labs (internet clases will not do). And of course finding the time to take the classes. I had to take mine at night and on the weekends, over the course of a year an a half (1-6 month tour to Afghanistan and 1 short tour to Korea during that time), and I managed to fit in Chem II, OChem I&II, Physics I&II, Bio I&II and a Calc Class (which I only needed for USUHS, where I decided not to go anyway).

I also fit the MCAT in there as well. It was tough, but probably no tougher than medical school will be.

As far as switching from Nurse to MD...the Army wouldn't let me switch from a non-medical corps speciality into the medical corps because my job was too short handed already, so I separated from the Army, and then signed up for the HPSP.

So there are definitely work arounds...and in the process I got an extra 20k signing bonus. I also had the opportunity to attend USUHS in another branch besides the army (was accepted into the Air Force at USUHS, but couldn't bring myself to make that switch, or commit myself to that much time following school).

I was told early on in the process that just getting into an MD program after being a nurse/or PA is fraught with its own pitfalls as well, but I am sure you are already aware of that. No doubt many have made the switch.