prereq's???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcandy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this will vary by school, but in general, for the bio prereq's,will upper level courses (say genetics, devo bio etc) cover the genera bio prereq requirement. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong but I think you need 1 year gen bio to cover the prereq. Don't you have those? I mean to take the upper level courses didn't you have to take the general courses first as prereqs to get into those upper classes?

Actually, no. I have GB1, but am a non trad 30 yo and was never questioned when enrolling in upper level classes about lower division classes. Guess I know what I am doing this spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools will let you substitute gen bio for other upper level bio but some may not. I tell you though for the MCAT all you need is gen bio....

I'm sure most schools will let you use an AP score of 4 or 5 to get out of either a) 1 semester or b) the full sequence of General Biology. I had the option of doing this but I opted to take the general bio sequence anyway just because I needed a refresher on general bio because I have to use it again in Biochem and Cell Bio.

Some schools will definately not accept upper level Bio courses. Albany bounced my application because my four years of biotech courses didn't include general bio. Would've been nice if they had done that before taking my money, but what do I expect?

I am actually confronting this same issue. In my biochemistry program, only one semester of general biology is required. Of course, I've taken several upper-level biology courses by now. In communication with several medical schools, they've indicated that general biology is the minimum and that certainly upper-level courses fulfill the biology requirement.

Take a few minutes and e-mail the admissions departments of the schools you're interested in to make sure. With respect to the MCAT, the general biology you've missed can be easily reviewed on your own.