Prerequisite courses for non-predental student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imsurokim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am very new to this forum, and I apologize if this topic was done before, searched a bit but cannot find any info. Just tell you guys about my background, I have MS and Bachelor in mechanical engineering degree, and worked for about 2 years in engineering company. Currently looking forward to prepare for dental school. Problem for me is since I am holding mechanical engineering degrees, I don't have enough prerequisite courses, only have 1 semester of general biology with lab, and chemistry with lab. What will be the shortest way for me to finish these courses and prepare for dental school? I am currently working, but willing to quit if it can be done within an year or two.

Thanks for all inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

Take your prereq classes at a local 4 year college (try to avoid taking as many community college classes as possible). You shouldn't need to quit your job unless you feel the coursework is getting difficult for you. Take at least 12 hours a semester and you should be done within 1.5 years assuming you already completed physics, statistics, and english within the past 5-10 years with at least a high B. (I say high B because since you're a nontraditional student, you want to avoid a C like you want to avoid a Donald Trump rally).

1st semester - bio 2 + lab, chem 2 + lab, (physics, english, or statistics if it isnt already complete), if those 3 are already complete: take anatomy & physiology.

2nd semester - genetics, organic chem 1 + lab, microbio (lab is not req'd but you can take it if you have time).

3rd semester - organic chem 2 + lab, biochem, another upper level bio class if you would like.

Reactions: 1 user
Take your prereq classes at a local 4 year college (try to avoid taking as many community college classes as possible). You shouldn't need to quit your job unless you feel the coursework is getting difficult for you. Take at least 12 hours a semester and you should be done within 1.5 years assuming you already completed physics, statistics, and english within the past 5-10 years with at least a high B. (I say high B because since you're a nontraditional student, you want to avoid a C like you want to avoid a Donald Trump rally).

1st semester - bio 2 + lab, chem 2 + lab, (physics, english, or statistics if it isnt already complete), if those 3 are already complete: take anatomy & physiology.

2nd semester - genetics, organic chem 1 + lab, microbio (lab is not req'd but you can take it if you have time).

3rd semester - organic chem 2 + lab, biochem, another upper level bio class if you would like.
That sounds like a really good plan to me. Just be sure some courses aren't prereqs for others and which classes do/do not require lab. Like at my undergrad, you couldn't take biochem until you finished orgo 2 and microbio had a required lab.