• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Prerequisite question: are upper level division biology and/ or chemistry courses necessary ?

BabyK

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2018
    I understand that most medical schools ask for at least a year of chemistry and biology, and I'm currently doing post-bacc. When I register for biology related course, can I go for the upper level ones? For example, at my school we have a lower level genetics and a upper level genetics course, I'm wondering if they make a difference during the application process? Would it help if I go with the upper-leveled one?

TheDataKing

limeyguydr incognito
    2+ Year Member
    Silver Member
    May 16, 2018
    1. Medical Student
      Make sure you do bio and chem classes with labs and I would take the pre-reqs unless you have AP credit (then you could do upper level courses) There's no definitive need to take any upper level bio or chem classes unless it's your desire

Reactions: 3 users
      About the Ads

Damson

2+ Year Member
    • Nov 18, 2017
      On The Move
      1. Medical Student
        Might be a good idea to get a solid background in general biology 1/2, general chem 1/2, general phys 1/2. Two reasons why I think you should tackle these first
        1. many med schools state specifically that gen bio gen chem gen phys must be taken. they are requisite courses for admission
        2. gives you a foundation in the basic sciences, and builds up confidence going into higher level courses

Reactions: 2 users

JSD2

Jul 2, 2019
        1. Pre-Medical
          You don't technically need sciences courses beyond the prereqs for medical schools and your major, but if you like upper level courses and have the time then go for it! If you have a good foundation in genetics/bio/etc. then taking the upper level over the lower level will likely be viewed favorably.

Reactions: 2 users
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.