Prerequisite Question Before Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4 lyfe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. When I applied I hadn't taken my last English yet, and claimed that I'll be taking it next semester. As long as you indicate that you will be taking it (which they give you the chance to in the course section of the application), then you'll be fine.

If you need to take English classes, then that shouldn't be an issue. With this said, not every medical school is very stringent about this requirement and some schools will allow classes with significant writing and reading to count outside of the English department. I know at least one of the schools that I am looking at has taken this approach, and I am sure there are others. YMMV. You should check with the individual schools to see whether you need additional coursework or not.

On another note, also be mindful that pre-requisites need to be completed prior to matriculation and not necessarily before applying. This may make it easier to know whether the courses will be required (you can ask after any acceptance - you could even take them at a local CC and save money for instance).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I graduated a few years back and will be applying to medical school this upcoming cycle. During undergrad I didn't take any English courses, as it wasn't required for my degree.

Will it be okay if I do a full year English course during the summer - the same time as I apply?

Thanks,

Some schools require a year of English but will accept writing-intensive courses also. If you have those, you could try emailing the schools you are interested in applying to that have English requirements (check MSAR) if those classes will count.

Keep in mind, students who have not yet graduated from college, i.e. juniors, are also applying. They, like you, have not completed their coursework either.