PREREQUISITES AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOHN M

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i wanted to know if its ok to take the requisites at a commuity college, i took bio 1 and 2 with labs and chemestry 1 and lab, so far i have 46 credits but will have 50 this summer because i am taking chem 2 with lab. planning on doing organic chemestry 1 with lab , trigonometry . for spring organic chemstry 2 with lab , calculus. Not sure if I should take physics there too.

Members don't see this ad.

-If you go to a CC and then to a UG school, that's fine.
-If you go to a CC as a non-trad to get the pre-reqs, for for grade repair as a DIY post-bac, that's also fine.
-If it appears that you're avoiding your UG school's rigorous weeding courses by taking them at CCs, then that's going to raise some eyebrows.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey i wanted to know if its ok to take the requisites at a commuity college, i took bio 1 and 2 with labs and chemestry 1 and lab, so far i have 46 credits but will have 50 this summer because i am taking chem 2 with lab. planning on doing organic chemestry 1 with lab , trigonometry . for spring organic chemstry 2 with lab , calculus. Not sure if I should take physics there too.
It's OK (as far as its overall impact on you) if the Community College has sufficient course rigor to prepare you well for the MCAT. It's OK if you maintain a high GPA at the university to which you transfer (noting that dips are common in such a situation), demonstrating that your study skills and overall CC knowledge base was sufficient preparation for upper-level courses.

There are med schools that use language to discourage CC coursework, especially for the prerequisites, but refusing to accept it at all has been rare.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Physics and Calculus and writing and Human Anatomy, Physiology, and a human dissection course all through a community college after receiving a B.S. in Biotechnology from a private university.

I thought I was going into DPT but once I realized I wanted to do DO, I was like well, I have all the pre-reqs done now...

You can definitely do it, but you need to get a 4.0 in the community college courses, especially if they're science.

Reactions: 1 user
@gonnif I took many pre reqs at my CC while in high school (bios, inorganic chems, calc 2) because it was free and I wasn't sure if I could afford college (I do mention this in my app). I'm applying to a lot of schools that seem to discriminate in your list. Will I have more leeway since I took them while in high school? I got a 4.0 in all the classes and these credits transferred as an AA degree when I graduated high school if that matters.

The absolute definitive answer is: it does t matter. You cant change it, so unless you are considering not applying to medical school by what anyone may tell you on SDN, speculating on the impact of something cant change is a waste of time and effort that only causes worry and stress. Move on

I understand that, I was asking to see if I should maybe remove some of those schools from my list. Every penny counts. I'll just keep my list as is