Quantcast

prerequisites for nurse anesthetist program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I have searched various nurse anesthetist program sites and viewed the requirements. I know that most programs like to see advanced chemistry course work orgo, biochem. There is no mention of a physics course requirement on any of the sites I've viewed. Is physics a requirement? Will programs accept those prereqs if they are taken at a community college? Also, is there anyone in this forum who is currently in the program who can provide any other additional info on prereqs? Thanks a lot.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rose123
Hey everybody,
I have searched various nurse anesthetist program sites and viewed the requirements. I know that most programs like to see advanced chemistry course work orgo, biochem. There is no mention of a physics course requirement on any of the sites I've viewed. Is physics a requirement? Will programs accept those prereqs if they are taken at a community college? Also, is there anyone in this forum who is currently in the program who can provide any other additional info on prereqs? Thanks a lot.

I would think you'd need physics to understand the gases you'll be administering.

a fentanyl habit also helps.

CougRN

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physics will be taught in your program. Some programs do require it to be taken prior to grad school but most don't. The biggest requirement we need from physics is the gas laws and they will teach that to you in grad school. So most of the schools I spoke with said to not take it unless you really enjoy it.

You can take classes at a community college but most of the advanced o-chem and bio-chem classes are not offered there. Each school has there own requirements on top of what the AANA requires for admission. Check with the schools you are most interested with to see what they require. Best of luck.