Prescreen question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phenol312

That's no moon...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to both EVMS and VCU for this cycle. Now, VCU sent me their secondary (yay). However, EVMS rejected me outright on what I assume was a prescreen. Now this wouldn't bother me except EVMS has a lower MCAT, GPA and BCPM GPA than VCU (at least according to my MSAR which is a cycle old). Both schools prescreen...so why would I be eligible at one school with higher standards and turned away from the one with lower standards. Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nobody can really say for sure. Maybe EVMS values GPA a little more strongly than VCU and yours didn't quite make the cut. There are many possible reasons, but what we can be sure of is that this is proof that stats aren't everything.

Different schools value different things.

Also if VCU gives out secondaries to 50% of its applicants and EVMS gives them to 40% (this is a made up number) you could get past the VCU screen but not the EVMS screen even though VCU has higher standards since your numbers aren't fantastic.

When were you verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the AMCAS processing notice via email on June 11th.

We have similar numbers and I got the VCU secondary but haven't heard from EVMS so you probably won't be alone.

Have you been placed in a priority group by EVMS yet, if you don't mind me asking?

We have similar numbers and I got the VCU secondary but haven't heard from EVMS so you probably won't be alone.

Have you been placed in a priority group by EVMS yet, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you mean the VCU priority group? :rolleyes: I don't know I just logged in now and I was still incomplete my letters only hit interfolio on the 22nd though. What exactly is this priority group?

Do you mean the VCU priority group? :rolleyes: I don't know I just logged in now and I was still incomplete my letters only hit interfolio on the 22nd though. What exactly is this priority group?

Oh, yeah VCU sorry. After evaluating your secondary within a couple weeks after you are complete, they place you into one of several different groups based on your priority score (or they reject you). You should check out the VCU thread.