Prescription drugs to help with job stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diplomat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never taken any prescription medication but feel like I have to in order to work at CVS. Does anyone take any prescription antidepressants or anti-psychs that they could recommend? CVS has brought me to the point I feel I need medication to survive. Everyday is a struggle for me. Xanax is out of the question. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, if you need meds to do this job, you really need to find a new job. Seriously. This job is not worth it for the lost of your health.

Not when I have 150K in loans and 8 years invested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not when I have 150K in loans and 8 years invested.

180k and 6 years invested here.

Best advice I can provide to you is to do your best and forget the rest.

1. If scores are low for your store, and you are getting bum-rushed by manager and sup, well, work on resolving those issues, however big or small. Unfortunately, chain retail is very score/performance oriented.

2. If pts are yelling at you and demanding this and that, worry about your license first, and forget the rest. Take your time, and do your very best with each pt. If there is an issue, make sure you have a detailed back-up of what happened.

3. For every 3 patients that give you a hard time, there is always that 1 patient who truly appreciates what you did.

4. Please find a way to relax yourself after the day is over. The great thing about retail is that we don't have work to bring home (unlike our counterparts i.e. residents/fellows). Use your personal time to do things you like. What do I do? Video games, dance like a lunatic while driving home, bitch about the day with your friends.

Just my 2 cents.

I feel your pain. Sad what retail has morphed into.

A total of just six weeks at Wags during my APPE and I had 2 or 3 work-related nightmares. Retail might not be for you. I suggest you start exploring other areas such as LTC and infusion.

I know of one pharmacist that has taken xanax to be able to deal with the stress mostly related to working with one individual. taking meds that dull your senses when you don't have a diagnosable reason for taking it is probably a bad idea.

That's just crazy.... to be driven to the point of having to take meds? Yikes.

I have never taken any prescription medication but feel like I have to in order to work at CVS. Does anyone take any prescription antidepressants or anti-psychs that they could recommend? CVS has brought me to the point I feel I need medication to survive. Everyday is a struggle for me. Xanax is out of the question. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

antipsych? seriously? I can't take this post seriously.

I'm going to respond as if this post were serious. Working at CVS is hell. I feel sorry for the new grads coming out who owe 100k and have no other options. Everyday just do the best you can. The frustrating part is you are judged by meaningless scores such as SSS which you really have no control over. Retail has turned customers into unsatisfiable monsters over the last 10 yrs. They will never be pleased unless their medication is free and they get a free candy bar. Keep your eyes out for a better job in the meantime. You should be networking with every pharmacist you talk to on the phone. Don't worry one day there will be a shortage again and we can all stick it to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
antipsych? seriously? I can't take this post seriously.

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps, since the OP is listed as a student they are only a 1st year? Although I have heard CVS can make you Schizo with all Sup monitoring everything like hawks. "You took, on average, 2 more seconds to answer the Dr line that we would like...."

I have seen pharmacists on ssri's, bzd's, or lamotrigine. I know it because they have them filled at their pharmacy.

This totally boggles my brain. Infact, I find it interesting just how much some people could care less what others knew about them, mental healthwise.

This totally boggles my brain. Infact, I find it interesting just how much some people could care less what others knew about them, mental healthwise.

I agree, I mean if it was a couple benzo's for a flight or even some minor anxiety and I was going weeks to months between scheduled fills I wouldn't have a problem. But if I was eating seroquel and trazodone daily with a side of klonopin, I would probably get those meds filled elsewhere, just sayin........

Unfortunately I am serious. I can't do Xanax, it just puts me to sleep. I was just wondering if anyone has tried anything that has made the job tolerable.
And yes, I am a pharmacist. Sorry, just havent changed my title on SDN yet.

Quit immediatly and find another job. CVS is a ****ty company thats only getting worse. No amount of drugs legal or illegal will make it any better.

Quit immediatly and find another job. CVS is a ****ty company thats only getting worse. No amount of drugs legal or illegal will make it any better.

First post of the new year. Your resolution was to be more positive?

Unfortunately I am serious. I can't do Xanax, it just puts me to sleep. I was just wondering if anyone has tried anything that has made the job tolerable.
And yes, I am a pharmacist. Sorry, just havent changed my title on SDN yet.

You could go the Office Space route and try hypnosis. Seriously there is nothing that will make working at CVS tolerable. Find another job.

Try some kava-kava. The best way to deal with the stress is to find an outlet where you can vent your frustrations. I for one go to the gym and exercise my butt off.

I know an RPh who has to take Xanax because the RPh can't deal with the stress.

If that's what happens to you, then its time to find another job. Do you really want to be the kind of person who has to take benzos because the stress at your job is so much? I don't want to be that kind of person.

Ask to be transferred to a slower store.

You could go the Office Space route and try hypnosis. Seriously there is nothing that will make working at CVS tolerable. Find another job.

Office Space :smuggrin:.... imagine Bill ****ing Lumberg as the sup. Please someone tell me CVS doesn't have TPS reports?

LMAO.

PCQ reports, all sorts of others. 'Bout the same as the TPS reports....I want to gut a fish on them or wipe my hiney with them!

Office Space :smuggrin:.... imagine Bill ****ing Lumberg as the sup. Please someone tell me CVS doesn't have TPS reports?

LMAO.

Yeah....ummmmm....Peter.....I need to talk to you about your telephone and drive through time report......Yeah, ya see we changed the report metrics and wee need thoses times to be less than a nano second.....Yeah, I'm also Going to need you to come in on Saturday and work a 14 hour shift......Oh yeah I almost forgot I'll need you to come in on Sunday too.....We lost some people and need to.....ummm yeah.....play some catch up.

I've seen low doses of citalopram for new grads just entering retail.

Here is the best option (other than finding a slower store or completely different profession). Get prescribed to Adderall XR + Xanax XR. You will be attentive and effective but you will also be able to deal with stress and not drive yourself (and your co-workers) crazy.

Just chill man. Step back, take a few deep breaths, and realize you are helping people (hopefully) and just let life fall into place. Take it day-by-day. Once one problem arises, deal with it accordingly, and move one.

If you're needing drugs, even legitimately prescribed ones, to get through your work day, you need another job. If this is a temporary thing, it might be okay, but we're talking CVS here. Think of it as an abusive marriage; it is NOT going to get better.

:(

I know of 3 cities where every Osco experienced 100% turnover within a matter of weeks when CVS bought them out. Some of these people had kids in college, disabled spouses, etc. and it just was not worth it. The person who told me this said that one pharmacist simply closed up the pharmacy mid-shift and they all walked out. Talk about burning a bridge - but she was so unhappy, she didn't care.

I once gave notice at a job I'd been at for just a month when I considered suicide en route to work. No job is that important.

Last edited:
I would hope you would not make a mockery of CVS by pretending that it's so bad that you needs meds to get through- may ask what is making yo so stressed out? are you working in a busy "challenged" store? I would like to know the details maybe Retail isn't for you or perhaps you need to speak to your Sup to see if you can switch stores. I hate to see anyone so stressed out that they have to be on meds or consider taking them- sorry about your ordeal but I think it's more of a retail problem than a CVS problem.

I would hope you would not make a mockery of CVS by pretending that it's so bad that you needs meds to get through- may ask what is making yo so stressed out? are you working in a busy "challenged" store? I would like to know the details maybe Retail isn't for you or perhaps you need to speak to your Sup to see if you can switch stores. I hate to see anyone so stressed out that they have to be on meds or consider taking them- sorry about your ordeal but I think it's more of a retail problem than a CVS problem.

As much of a pro-cvs person you are I would have to agree with this. Independent retaill may be different but the corporate retails are all about the same minus a few differences here and there. Wal-mart has an hour lunch but cvs and wags have 30-min lunches if you have an overlapping pharmacist. CVS has reports up the butt and telemarketing may have to be added to your job description. I'm in long-term care pharmacy now and would never think to go back to retail.

Yeah....ummmmm....Peter.....I need to talk to you about your telephone and drive through time report......Yeah, ya see we changed the report metrics and wee need thoses times to be less than a nano second.....Yeah, I'm also Going to need you to come in on Saturday and work a 14 hour shift......Oh yeah I almost forgot I'll need you to come in on Sunday too.....We lost some people and need to.....ummm yeah.....play some catch up.

This post makes me want to eat Cheetos and play Tetris.

As much of a pro-cvs person you are I would have to agree with this. Independent retaill may be different but the corporate retails are all about the same minus a few differences here and there. Wal-mart has an hour lunch but cvs and wags have 30-min lunches if you have an overlapping pharmacist. CVS has reports up the butt and telemarketing may have to be added to your job description. I'm in long-term care pharmacy now and would never think to go back to retail.
I would say your assessment is accurate- but I thought Wal-Mart only shut down for 30 minutes- 1 to 1:30 or 1:30 to 2pm can't remember which but kudos to them if it's an hour break. yes CVS is micro managed- won't argue that but everyone responds to stress differently I guess.

cvs and wags have 30-min lunches if you have an overlapping pharmacist

orly.jpg

It is laughable that a high % of threads turn into anti-CVS threads, a pretty good indication there are some problems there I guess.

Try talking to a counselor about coping with your stress. Simply having someone who will objectively listen to your concerns can really help. Also, try lifestyle modifications like reducing alcohol, more sleep, yoga, exercise, etc. Keep in mind that it takes a while for a body to relax itself after chronic stress. You won't immediately see an impact of lifestyle modifications, but it definitely will help.

If you still feel that your stress is unmanageable, talk to a psychiatrist about your issue and the best medications. The antidepressants work well for anxiety, but certain ones may work better than others depending on your symptoms.

"The antidepressants work well for anxiety, but certain ones may work better than others depending on your symptoms"

You "druggists" wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you? :rolleyes:

"The antidepressants work well for anxiety, but certain ones may work better than others depending on your symptoms"

You "druggists" wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you? :rolleyes:
Anxiety presents in different ways. For some, they can't sleep because of it. Or it causes them to wake up at 3 am and they cannot get back to sleep. Sometimes people have comorbid illnesses that would respond better to certain medications that others. A psychiatrist should help to determine which type of anxiety medication (and proper dosing) would be the most beneficial based on how the patient's anxiety presents and any other illnesses they may have. There are a lot of meds that help anxiety with significant differences in how people respond (ssri, snri, bupropion, tricyclics . . .). And importantly, it is sometimes a guessing game whether someone will respond or not.

THank you everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it. It's just the entire aspect of retail that gives me stress and anxiety: Having a timer on everything, phone ringing off the hook, drug addicts seeking all day long, incompetent staff, underpaid staff, understaffed, staff that generally doesnt care. I just don't feel the environment produced by CVS is not safe for dispensing medications. I find it almost unethical for CVS to have 1 pharmacist verifying 400+ prescriptions/day, without a break, and working 13 hours straight.