prescription for newbs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playingfrombehind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anywere on the web where they have exampels of all the prescriptions. That includes the Rx, sig, etc. Not just the dose as seen in Medscape, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah there are only a few eaxmples. But examples of all the medications? So I can double check to make sure I wrote it correctly?

For example I had a patient who wanted a script for enafmil and other baby formula. I hadn o idea how to write the prescription.
Also does anyone know how to write the prescription for monistat-1 combo pack?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah there are only a few eaxmples. But examples of all the medications? So I can double check to make sure I wrote it correctly?

For example I had a patient who wanted a script for enafmil and other baby formula. I hadn o idea how to write the prescription.
Google is your friend as is up to date.

This is what I used as a resident. There are lots of smartphone apps out there now (like Epocrates), but Tarascon is still the cheapest and easiest option (and probably a few bucks cheaper on Amazon).

http://www.tarascon.com/products/details.aspx/09529-6

1284095290.jpg

for otc and supplies i usually write an indication and duration. dunno if its necessary this is coming from an er doc.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

epocrates is gold.

as an intern, i would always check with a senior before Rx

also, you won't find formula directions on there.. you just learn from that asking someone/having a kid lol.. also reading the actual baby food bottle/mix.

Hmmm, for OTC stuff, I usually will write "as indicated on packaging instructions" --

For Enfamil/baby formula, children's Tylenol/motrin -- the reason they want the script is so that Medicaid will pay for it -- I've been known to pull out a script pad, write" Please dispense 1 canister of Enfamil, Mix and use as labeled, 3 refills".
Don't allow patients to overcomplicate your life;

UpToDate is your friend;

I second Epocrates, it is well worth the money and I use it on a daily basis. It's much quicker to reference than Up to Date and much cheaper. You can always Google, or (gasp) ask someone.

I second Epocrates, it is well worth the money and I use it on a daily basis. It's much quicker to reference than Up to Date and much cheaper. You can always Google, or (gasp) ask someone.

Heaven forfend!!! How could you ever even suggest such a thing -- why, that would be tantamount to an admission that the OP didn't know everything about medicine prior to their training experience in residency!!!! Why, how, I'm at a loss -- unheard of!! a student, intern, resident actually asking questions -- it's almost like they would expect to be.....trained during residency --- preposterous!!!

yes, I went to an abusive (both physically and verbally) residency where the attendings did not tolerate questions -- if we did ask, it was used against us ----